Thread: Electronics Hider

Electronics Hider

My honey-do list has been updated to include a wood piece that will hide the internet router, wifi hub, and Phillips Hue station in the corner of the living room. I am looking for some inspiration as I begin the design process and don't find anything that speaks to me. My living room is mostly Walnut pieces and in the arts & crafts style. I don't want it to be as big as an end table, but I also don't want it to look out of place as this weird little box in the corner. Maybe there is a name for what I am looking for besides "electronics hider", but I am at a loss for what it would be. If you have seen or built something that would fit the bill (even if it is in a different style) I would love to see it.

L & J G Stickley (the less-famous brothers to Gustav) made a cabinet which sounds just like what you want. They called it a Smokers Cabinet, and it was #26 in their catalog.
    Gustav also made a Smokers Cabinet (#89 in his catalog), but I think it is not as good looking.

Question... Does anything in your electronics collection need to receive infrared signals from a remote control?

I think something like that may work. I would have to probably do slats on the sides so wifi signal doesn't get too jammed up, and the back will be fully open. Could work though.

And no to the remote question. Just wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Keys View Post
    ... I would have to probably do slats on the sides so wifi signal doesn't get too jammed up...
    Hunh? I've never heard of wifi being impeded by a couple inches of the usual house-building materials. Okay, maybe if you're trying to get wifi coverage at the far end of the house, through lots and lots of walls or floors, wifi gets iffy. But not in less than one inch of cabinetry.

We have our Wi-Fi router etc in the basement. Couldn't you consider moving the equipment instead of hiding it?

We have a big house and a mesh wifi network with a node on each floor to keep the speeds good throughout the house. We have 14 Alexa devices scattered throughout the house and all of our lights and many other items are controlled over the wireless network, so full coverage is a necessity. Fully enclosing the node in a walnut cabinet reduces the signal by about 1/2, which means the garage area doesn't get wifi service. That is part of the problem. We already tried putting it inside an existing cabinet in the living room and that is how we found out that the cabinet does impede the wifi signal. I am hoping something with a cover on the front and semi-open sides and no back won't interfere as much as a fully enclosed cabinet.

I recently finished an entertainment unit and ended up putting speaker mesh on the doors instead of a conventional panel. Doubled it up and you can not see any LED's through it and have found no degradation in WiFi signal or remote operation. It also has the added benefit of air exchange. Doors closed, all you see is a giant TV panel and some beautiful ash!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Speaker mesh is a good idea.