Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide what saw to keep...

Help me decide what saw to keep...

this is a ridiculous question with no real answer, I am very aware. It depends what I am doing, also aware...

I have a 5HP "INDUSTRIAL" (lol) Sawstop cabinet saw. about 8 months ago i got a 60s vintage Oliver 88D Sliding table saw and didn’t have time to go through it so i threw it in the corner and got back to work. The saw is complete with 2 miter gauges, a quadrant, blade guard and extension table. It needs some work but nothing I can’t do in a week or less.

The time has come to make a decision....

I wish I could keep both. But I really need the space.....

Who stays? Who goes?

Keep the sawstop
    1 its up and running already
    2 you know it works
    3 parts easily available
    4 loss will be limited by selling a machine you got used vs selling a machine that you bought new
    5 safety(splitters/brake/etc
    6 less maintenance needed

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Keep the sawstop
    1 its up and running already
    2 you know it works
    3 parts easily available
    4 loss will be limited by selling a machine you got used vs selling a machine that you bought new
    5 safety(splitters/brake/etc
    6 less maintenance needed

Thanks for the input. I bought both used. but part availability and knowing it works for my needs is nice peace of mind

You know I'm partial towards sliders

But isn't that a short-stroke slider? They only really get useful when they have a 5'+ stroke, and one could argue 8'+. So that old vintage Oliver is sweet, but it's really not going to offer any advantages over the Sawstop. So yeah I'd keep the Sawstop for practicality purposes until you can get an actual full-fledged slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    You know I'm partial towards sliders

But isn't that a short-stroke slider? They only really get useful when they have a 5'+ stroke, and one could argue 8'+. So that old vintage Oliver is sweet, but it's really not going to offer any advantages over the Sawstop. So yeah I'd keep the Sawstop for practicality purposes until you can get an actual full-fledged slider.

I had a feeling you'd chime in

I want the slider advantages. But, they are out of my budget for now... even the little Grizzly. Any interest in the Oliver? Jk.

No dog in this fight other than to say that it's unlikely the Oliver is going to be high maintenance. Once tuned up it will be a treat to use. It's built to last and last and last. It's only draw back is not being a longer stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    No dog in this fight other than to say that it's unlikely the Oliver is going to be high maintenance. Once tuned up it will be a treat to use. It's built to last and last and last. It's only draw back is not being a longer stroke.
    very true. I have some other old machines and they dont take much to keep going

so its decided... I will.... continue to be indecisive

Blog Entries
    I would keep the Oliver..

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    I would keep the Oliver..

im leaning that way. I can get a sawstop any day of the week.

Have you used a slider much?

Let me suggest a third option. If it will only take you a week to get it cleaned up and running, why not do that and use it a while...then decide.

That way, you will make an informed decision, and the Oliver will probably bring more $ in set up condition also, if that is your decision.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in the market for a used SawStop Industrial if you decide to keep the Oliver.

What kind of work do you do, Michael? The real benefit to the Oliver is it takes an 18" blade. Thats about 5" of cut depth compared to 3ish on the sawstop. Even though its a short stroke slider, thats still better than a miter gauge in the sawstop. What fence does your oliver have? I personally might prefer to own the Oliver just based on it being more unique, better history, more heft, etc. However, i fully realize the sawstop is the easier machine to own. Tooling is less expensive and everyone makes a 5/8" bore. Does the Oliver take 1 or 1.25"? 18" blade for the oliver is going to be pricey.

I might have a shoe thrown at me for saying this, but both will cut wood. The Oliver will look better and have a cooler story to it, but both will make furniture just the same.

I would keep the Oliver. Since you bought the SS used chances are you can sell it for what you paid for it. Like you said, you can always get another one. Fix up the Oliver, try it out, and decide if you like it. If not then sell it and replace it with exactly what you want. Selling both should give you more than enough cash to buy a full size slider (if you want/ have room) or another SS.

Nest them back to back and they take up no more space than one saw and an outfeed table.