Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me decide what saw to keep...

well..... I know you're all dying for the ending here.....

and the winner is.....

882.jpg

Wish I was closer, I would buy your ICS.

How do you like your Kapex?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Wish I was closer, I would buy your ICS.

How do you like your Kapex?

it’s pretty good. It cuts

I think it’s grossly overpriced though for how I use it. But I think for an “on site” guy doing high end trim it’s fantastic

Well, I see that I’ve responded too late but will offer my opinion regardless. I have 2 saws in almost certainly a smaller space than what you have (~500 sq ft.) One of them is SS sized - a Powermatic 66 and the other is Oliver sized - a Tannewitz Model U - though it is a fixed table model.

I have them back to back, co-planer with each other with about 12” of space in between the backs of each saw with a tiny little outfeed table to bridge the gap...just enough space for the miter bars of a crosscut sled to not collide with the one behind it. The 66 has the full 52” fence and a side table to support it. So they make an L shape essentially with the 66 being much wider due to the 52” Bies fence. The Tannewitz has a 24” capacity rack and pinion fence, 2 miter gauges and 18” (or is it 20”?) blade capacity. I use them both and don’t have a dado arbor for the Tannewitz so the 66 takes over that duty when I need to do it on the table saw. The Tannewitz is a ripping and cross cutting machine and the I use the miter gauge quite a bit for pretty long cross cuts. 66 for dadoes and sheet goods (and of course other cuts if I don’t feel like turning on the phase converter for 1 cut sometimes)

Before I had the Tannewitz, I had the 66 with the same size side table to support the fence and then a pretty large outfeed table on casters that I never moved because I didn’t have anywhere else in the shop it would actually fit. The current setup of both saws is actually more space efficient than the 66 with large outfeed before as the other acts as outfeed for the one in use.

Works pretty well for me, it’s nice to have 2 different setups going at once.

I would love to have a sliding saw, but I’m not presenting that to myself as an option in this shop as it would turn everything else upside down on its head. I’ve moved a lot of big, heavy and old stuff into this shop that is borderline extreme for the space, but I think a slider with the necessary space for the stroke (even a short stroke) would just kill my space too much.

How big is your shop space? Kinda blurry in that photo but is that a 299 planer in the background?
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 04-18-2021 at 8:23 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Well, I see that I’ve responded too late but will offer my opinion regardless. I have 2 saws in almost certainly a smaller space than what you have (~500 sq ft.) One of them is SS sized - a Powermatic 66 and the other is Oliver sized - a Tannewitz Model U - though it is a fixed table model.

I have them back to back, co-planer with each other with about 12” of space in between the backs of each saw with a tiny little outfeed table to bridge the gap...just enough space for the miter bars of a crosscut sled to not collide with the one behind it. The 66 has the full 52” fence and a side table to support it. So they make an L shape essentially with the 66 being much wider due to the 52” Bies fence. The Tannewitz has a 24” capacity rack and pinion fence, 2 miter gauges and 18” (or is it 20”?) blade capacity. I use them both and don’t have a dado arbor for the Tannewitz so the 66 takes over that duty when I need to do it on the table saw. The Tannewitz is a ripping and cross cutting machine and the I use the miter gauge quite a bit for pretty long cross cuts. 66 for dadoes and sheet goods (and of course other cuts if I don’t feel like turning on the phase converter for 1 cut sometimes)

Before I had the Tannewitz, I had the 66 with the same size side table to support the fence and then a pretty large outfeed table on casters that I never moved because I didn’t have anywhere else in the shop it would actually fit. The current setup of both saws is actually more space efficient than the 66 with large outfeed before as the other acts as outfeed for the one in use.

Works pretty well for me, it’s nice to have 2 different setups going at once.

I would love to have a sliding saw, but I’m not presenting that to myself as an option in this shop as it would turn everything else upside down on its head. I’ve moved a lot of big, heavy and old stuff into this shop that is borderline extreme for the space, but I think a slider with the necessary space for the stroke (even a short stroke) would just kill my space too much.

How big is your shop space? Kinda blurry in that photo but is that a 299 planer in the background?

Thanks for the input. I am in about 400 square feet with some of that space being a washer and dryer, a lot of lumber and some big tools including a Porter 16" jointer and the 299 Planer you spotted.

I know I will eventually end up with probably a unisaw or a 66 as a dado saw. With my current situation with so much lumber I had to let 1 saw go (until i can get things under control, or move into a bigger shop space).

Part of my decision was due to the fact It was so easy to sell the SS, and for food money too. I can get one any day used if I decide to go back that route. Or get a 66 for a fraction of the price.

I think you made a wise choice. The micro adjust in the F fence is really nice. That little silver knob sitting on the miter gauge might go into the side of the sliding table. My quandrant has a knurled knob instead of the one with a little Tommy bar like yours. Does the sliding table have all the angles inscribed in the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I think you made a wise choice. The micro adjust in the F fence is really nice. That little silver knob sitting on the miter gauge might go into the side of the sliding table. My quandrant has a knurled knob instead of the one with a little Tommy bar like yours. Does the sliding table have all the angles inscribed in the top?

Thank you. I think so too, The silver knob is actually off the blade height adjustment wheel it broke off at some point im glad the previous owner kept it. that should be an easy fix. The table does have etched angles in it.

The quadrant should have a knurled knob but that unfortunately is what I got lol.

update to the saga. I ended up picking up an 80s Powermatic 66 as a second saw (for $250, can't beat that!). After running the oliver a few weeks I did feel limited by the lack of dado capabilities (without the rare and expensive accessories required). Back to 2 saws. LOL!!!!

Not to be an enabler here.... It would be very nice to have both. A slider can do most anything well but there are those times when I miss my saw stop cabinet saw. At least fix up the Oliver to test it out and see how it fits your workflow. If its not for you it will fetch more used if in good condition.
    Richard Link

Are you running in 3 phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Boyet View Post
    update to the saga. I ended up picking up an 80s Powermatic 66 as a second saw (for $250, can't beat that!). After running the oliver a few weeks I did feel limited by the lack of dado capabilities (without the rare and expensive accessories required). Back to 2 saws. LOL!!!!

That's how I ended up with a nice Uni sitting by my Felder. It's a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by David LaRue View Post
    Are you running in 3 phase?

no. But I run vfd for my several 3 phase tools. Probably should have gotten a RFC but vfd works good too

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    That's how I ended up with a nice Uni sitting by my Felder. It's a good thing!

yeah it’ll be a good thing. Also gives me a spot to put my router lift too.