Thread: Recent work

Recent work

Have happened into a number of pieces of really pretty wood lately.

Katalox sphere (3" diameter) that is half heartwood and half sapwood; black ash burl bowl (about 8.5"); ribbon sapele cross grain box (5" wide, just under 4" high). The katalox and sapele were purchased (guess that's obvious), the black ash burl was from my father's forest. There are more out there; I've always considered them in "safe storage" in living trees, but with the emerald ash borer less than 20 miles away, it's time to take them before they are destroyed.

Nothing fancy in the turning, just pretty pieces of wood. I get great enjoyment out of making simple shapes that complement the features of the wood.

Best,

Dave

Capture43.JPGCapture44.JPGCapture45.JPGCapture46.JPGCapture47.JPG

Dave -- They are all wonderful. I particularly like the sapele box.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Great job, Dave! I especially like the natural edge bowl second from the left in your post. That wood is amazing and your work is amazing also!

Zowie!!! Nice work Dave! All beautiful pieces
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Beautiful work Dave. That ash burl bowl is stunning!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's a big leg up when one is fortunate enough to have such nice wood to work with.

I spent most of my turning "career" working with found wood, and only recently branched out to buying wood from suppliers. The ribbon sapele came from Mike Leighner and colleagues at Got Wood? (turningblanks.net). No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

Best,

Dave

You've done a great job of complementing the features of the wood.