Thread: How to: 3hp three phase shaper run with a VFD

How to: 3hp three phase shaper run with a VFD

I've searched the archives and thought I'd ask if there is anyone that has specifics of doing this on their shaper. As the title states, I'm looking for information on what VFD people would recommend to power a three phase 3hp shaper from single phase source. Based on other threads I've seen people make recommendations for specific models and brands but not seen any first hand posts.

I'd love to see actual examples with pictures. I feel comfortable performing this work myself but just wanted to get an idea of what others have done.

I've got numerous questions about utilizing the VFD for speed control and which side of the shaper's power button to wire but will wait to see what pops up here.

9244274.jpg 9244275.jpg

Jack Forsberg sells them and will walk you through the whole settup process. I own one and it's great.

http://jforsberg.ca/

B

I have put single phase supply TECO vfd's on a lathe and edge sander. It's pretty straightforward. You will bypass the existing magnetic starter. Depending on the unit you may need to provide an enclosure. Be aware that by slowing down the frequency supplied to the motor you are reducing available hp and the cooling fan runs slower. Shapers (including yours) are usually set up with pulleys to run the largest cutters they are suited for at a safe speed, so the vfd is primarily a power supply rather than a speed control. For one 3 hp machine a vfd is an economical choice, but if you are thinking about more three phase equipment down the road you may want to look at a rotary converter.

It’s quite simple really. Power in goes to VFD, power out goes to motor. Switch just be wired to VFD (not unlike between VFD and motor). Adjust settings as you wish, accel/decel time, rpm, etc.

I’ve got like 7 VFD’s - doesn’t take an electrician, but you should have a general understanding of electricity.

Matt, thanks for the input. Are there any VFD's you'd recommend or should I just look for the most economical option that fits my needs on ebay?

Blog Entries
    I dunno Matt... if it hadn't been for you (graciously) helping me along the way, I'm not sure I would have quite figure it out on my own. Btw, the jointer still working great since then, and thanks again.

The things I found tricky were...

1. Picking which VFD to purchase for my needs. Matt, I think you actually helped me pick, but the details on the motor plate are used to make the choice.

2. Depending on what you get, the VFD's instructions for programming may not be that intuitive. I know in my case, there was definitely NOT a section that cleanly told me what to do to make my machine "go". I had to learn about switch diagrams, new terminology, and had to read between the lines.

3. Even with tips from the crew here and from the manufacturer, I ended up having to do some trial/error (at one point even referencing pointers from competing manufacturers and other forums) to get things just right.

All told, I easily sunk 5+ hours into the VFD work. Of course, this is coming from zero understanding and progressing through working machine, so not terrible. If your starting point is more knowledgeable than mine, your mileage will likely vary.

Edit: Here's the thread where Matt and a bunch of others helped me out. Might be some good nuggets of information in here for you: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-DJ-20-jointer
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 04-14-2021 at 1:30 PM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

few things in life are really quite simple.

Do not set acceleration or deceleration to less then 3 seconds. For a shaper you do not need a braking resistor. On my lathe I use the old switch to run a contactor that energizes the the vfd since the vfd fan runs all the time. Motor on/off is through the vfd and other switches. Feel free to add or move low voltage switches, especially stop swsitches.
    Bill D

Since you are changing the wiring anyway. I like to cut the motor cord and install a twist lock male/female set inline. This allows you to do most wiring on the bench instead of standing on your head.
    Also check all the bearings for wiggle and crunchiness while you are in there. Clean/lube the quill motion. I cut a 6x6 hole in the side of the cabinet on my 1.5hp shaper. Makes it much easier to get a wrench on the spindle bottom nut. There was some stuff in the way from the front. Factory wants me to lean over and around and go through the back.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    Matt, thanks for the input. Are there any VFD's you'd recommend or should I just look for the most economical option that fits my needs on ebay?
    If you don't want much for reliability, zero technical help, and zero help programming the parameters on the VFD, then this plans works just fine. I would absolutely not recommend it for a first time installer.

I installed a VFD for my 5.5 HP Powermatic model 29 shaper . The VFD is dust proof and actually made for the outdoors . The MFG. sales firm recommended going with a unit which was twice the amperage of the rated 3phase motor . Easy to install and program . They also suggested I use a remote switch panel which has an Ethernet cable to the VFD. Not the least expensive however the VFD works very well. It is made by "Invertek" . Their instructions also recommended the fuse Amperage at the knife switch . My run is from the Breaker panel to the knife switch then to the VFD then to the shaper . They also strongly recommended not using the original start/stop switches etc. . By the way this 600 LBS. plus shaper is on wheels . The rolling base is similar to a "Saw Stop" Hydraulic Lift but much , much heavier built .

No shaper I do have a Teco Westinghouse on a drill press. I'm sure I could have found cheaper but have no experience with VFDs I wanted a reasonable chance at competent technical support. I bought the VFD and a 3 phase motor from Dealers Electric in North Jersey. The manual is well written and I was able to get it to do what I wanted it to do pretty easily. There are a couple terminals that enable the use of a remote switch so I was able to use the original non-magnetic switch on the drill press. The VFD has many functions that I cannot envision a use for but that's OK. I know I could have found cheaper on Ebay but I wanted the support.

Happy to help Bob!

Wes, I used to use the Teco FM-50’s sold by factorymation all the time but they are discontinued. The newer FMX series is a good replacement, again from Factorymation. I’m also using a Lapond (amazon) that’s mentioned in the thread Bob linked to. A 3 hp factorymation will be about $200 and the lapond I got from amazon was $107. Factorymation offers excellent customer support and warranty, which is worth something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do not set acceleration or deceleration to less then 3 seconds. For a shaper you do not need a braking resistor. On my lathe I use the old switch to run a contactor that energizes the the vfd since the vfd fan runs all the time. Motor on/off is through the vfd and other switches. Feel free to add or move low voltage switches, especially stop swsitches.
    Bill D
    Not needed a braking resistor really depends on the inertia of the rotating parts. You shouldn't need one on a 3hp delta, but its possible.