Thread: Rikon 30-212VS review (benchtop, variable speed)

Blog Entries

Rikon 30-212VS review (benchtop, variable speed)

Hello,
    In case this will be useful to anyone in the future...

For the past decade, I had an old Walker Turner, floor-standing drill press that I had purchased used for $200. There was some runout I didn't want to chase down to eliminate, I never had the need of being able to take advantage of it's floor-standing capabilities, and I wanted to use space under the table for storage. As such, I sold it (along with upgrades and tuning I had done over the years) for $250.

Over those 10 years, I changed the belts to adjust speed about 3 times if I'm being generous. So I was constantly running bits of all sizes and shapes at the same speed regardless of application.

In my new DP, I wanted a benchtop model that could sit on a bank of drawers where I keep bits, sanding drums, etc. I also desired less runout. But mostly I wanted ease of changing speeds.

I ended up selecting the Rikon 30-212VS. From their website:
    "12” Variable Speed Benchtop Drill Press #30-212VS features a more powerful 3/4 hp motor and a Vari-speed pulley system that adjusts to chuck speeds with a simple turning of a lever. Includes digital RPM readout, LED work light, laser X-Y drilling guide, clamp-friendly thin edge woodworking table and a 5/8” chuck."

And here's a video review that I found to be very helpful.

Anyways, yesterday, I received mine in the mail. I paid $399 + tax, which is a bit lower than I see it advertised now. I purchased from ToolNut and found the entire process to be smooth sailing, although the product was backordered for a bunch of weeks (which I think we're seeing in so many areas these days).

The tool came nicely boxed and had all parts included, and clear instruction manual for assembly and use. Removing rust inhibitor was straightforward, followed by some paste wax. All parts went together as they should.

Things I like:
    - No more bit wobble! YAY!
    - The lasers are actually spot on... I'll still never be able to untrain myself from manually checking, but I can envision using the lasers to get me close as a first step.
    - LED light is great
    - Lever-controlled speed adjustment is awesome. Love it.
    - The table will be easy for me mount a shop-made table to
    - Overall, the machine is sturdily built, runs quietly and smoothly, and has enough travel, power, and features for the work I do

Things I'm less than thrilled about:
    - Plastic pulley cover feels cheap to me, but shouldn't affect performance (and really, for $399, I'm splitting hairs here)
    - My old WT had a lever I could pull to "freeze" the chuck at whatever depth I liked while I set the depth stops... this Rikon uses maddening knurled nuts that are a PITA to use.
    - The chuck feels a bit stiff to open/close the jaws.. Works smoothly, but stiffly.. perhaps just needs to "break in"?
    - Similarly, pulling the feed handles to lower the bit to the work has a fair amount of resistance compared to what I was used to. The old WT could be moved with a pinky.. I now need a bit of muscle to do the same.
    - Locking the table in place requires quite a bit of hand cranking force on a threaded locking lever

Planned adjustments:
    - I plan to either replace the depth stop with something better, or buy an aftermarket "quick release" nut so that I can more easily use depth-setting features
    - I will also add a wooden dowel to lengthen the handle on the threaded locking lever used to lock the table in position... this will provide me with more leverage for easier tightening
    - And I loved my old table, so I'll be creating version 2.0 of that (this time, inclusive of some method of connecting DC hose)

new drill press.jpg

I hope this helps! I'm happy to try to answer any questions as needed.

Thanks,

Bob R.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Two things you might try Bob. I love the depth stop you mention because it is so easy to set. Mine has a push button nut that moves up and down easily, you only turn it for fine adjustment. You may be able to find an adjustable nut to fit yours on line at Amazon etc.

Another thing I like is being able to set the stop for upward travel rather than just downward, with a nut under the stopper. OR like I do, I simply keep a small spring clamp on the stop rod, and move it wherever I need it. This way the quill doesn't go all the way up each time you drill. On repeated cuts I set the bit half inch above the work, and it saves a lot of wasted motion.

Congrats on the new too.

Bonus tip: Use setup blocks under the bit to adjust for depth of hole. I have some brass jobs that work great.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-14-2021 at 1:52 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Two things you might try Bob. I love the depth stop you mention because it is so easy to set. Mine has a push button nut that moves up and down easily, you only turn it for fine adjustment. You may be able to find an adjustable nut to fit yours on line at Amazon etc.

Another thing I like is being able to set the stop for upward travel rather than just downward, with a nut under the stopper. OR like I do, I simply keep a small spring clamp on the stop rod, and move it wherever I need it. This way the quill doesn't go all the way up each time you drill. On repeated cuts I set the bit half inch above the work, and it saves a lot of wasted motion.

Congrats on the new too.

Bonus tip: Use setup blocks under the bit to adjust for depth of hole. I have some brass jobs that work great.

Thanks Rick!

The push button / quick release nut that you're mentioning is exactly the solution I'm thinking about for the depth stop. I've found a couple aftermarket options that seem reasonable, so I just need to determine which size/thread pattern will fit. And, I completely agree with using two of these - one to stop how deep you can drill, and another to control the returning upward travel. I'll often set my depth by visually aligning to a mark on the edge of the work piece, so temporarily holding the bit in that down position so that hand are free to set the stop is a nice value to me too.

I have a set of those brass setup blocks too, and I agree they come in handy for lots of things around the shop!! :-)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)