Thread: drawing a serpentine top

drawing a serpentine top

gmorning

i'm wanting to make a new coffee table and would like to make a serpentine top.
    i dont have cad drawing. im a bit perplexed as to how to make a full size drawing,
    how to get the curve and return right. is there a ratio? im guessing to draw the bow
    with a narrow strip and weights, but how to get the return curve right? is it just trial and error till
    you get it right? any advice would be appreciated.

regards,
    Eric

On curved work, I will usually tape up several pieces of poster board and use a compass (with one end a pencil) to get one end of the piece where I like it. I just do half the piece then cut that out and flip or rotate that piece to trace the other side.

Or for more gentle curves I use a drawing bow like this from LV...easy to make one as well.

988B2123-524F-46F6-AEAF-D393B1E073DF.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 04-14-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Eric, I agree with Phil's suggestion of doing half the piece and flip or rotate to trace the other side. As far as the curves, I think you can freehand it. I think grid paper will facilitate drawing, along with a good eraser as you modify your pencil line to your liking.

There is stuff on line about drawing that . You might want to look at "ox-bow"....also

Eric - Popular Woodworking had an interesting article about curves back in Feb of 2020. I was looking at it the other day and would be happy to scan it and email it to you tomorrow if you PM your email address to me.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Lee Valley sells a set of large French curves for $40 which might suit your needs.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks everyone,
    and thank you Bill, sent you a pm