Thread: Suggestions for Outdoor Sideboard with Trash Cans

Suggestions for Outdoor Sideboard with Trash Cans

I would like to build a sideboard that has two trash cans in it with a butcher block top that we can wheel around the patio for extra counter space while grilling. The sideboard will generally be outside but under a roof, so it will not be exposed to rain. I am still pretty new to woodworking, so I was hoping to find plans to work off of. The closest I could find online is this indoor kitchen island (https://www.shadesofblueinteriors.co...trash-storage/).

I am trying to use this project to build some skills, so I was thinking of using alternative joinery instead of the pocket screws. I would also like to use solid wood instead of the plywood. Is trying to take on solid wood casework as a novice a bad idea?

Lastly, any suggestions on the species I should use? While the sideboard would be under a roof, it will be outside in the NC weather, which means humidity swings will be pretty extreme.

Outdoor life is hard on wood of any sort but plywood is more vulnerable so your plan to use solid wood is good.

You will want to empty the trash each evening to keep vermin out. Why 2 trash cans?

Putting rubber feet or wheels on it to keep the wood off the floor will help keep moisture and termites away.

Paint or any other opaque finish will be much more durable than any kind of varnish.

If you go with an end grain butcher block it would be good to make it a separate piece because it is going to expand a lot with moisture. Also it is likely to fail.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 04-17-2021 at 7:44 AM.