Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help In Deciding on a Bevel Down 4 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    You've missed the Clifton planes.
    ......and the Union (new) planes. https://www.unionmfgco.com/

Blog Entries
    I have a #4 right now from Stanley, and I find the feeling in hand is not very pleasing while I work. I like the way my bevel up jack feels in my hand from Veritas, so I imagined the Custom 4 1/2 would have a handle size similar to that, rather than going with the Custom #4 where the handle was noted by Derek as being smaller in feel. I am a bigger guy, and I have found smaller saw and plane handles less than pleasing in use.
    Being a bigger guy with bigger hands it is easy to understand why a #4-1/2 would be your primary choice. It might be a good idea to call first to see if the tote is actually larger for the larger plane.

On some of my saws and planes, tight feeling totes have been treated to a bit of wood removal with a rasp and sandpaper to make them more comfortable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's my understanding that Veritas offers 3 tote sizes in 2 styles for its custom planes, so you can pick a plane, then pick the tote.

The LV web site just shows the standard config for #4 and #4 1/2 planes

link for totes
    Totes for Veritas Custom Bench Planes - Lee Valley Tools
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 04-14-2021 at 9:45 PM.

One of the reasons I got a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 was that it takes the same frogs and blades as the 5 1/2, 6, and 7. So if you want some flexibility in blade angle, plane length, and blade camber then you might want to consider that.

In my use, I have my LN 4 in one shop and my 4 1/2 in the other. Both are set up for smoothing (for me that means 30 degree bevel, no camber, 45 degree frog angle, close chip breaker, and very light cut). I use what is there, no strong preference for smoothing. Thin shavings are not so much work that the width matters. Probably would not feel the same about thicknessing with a heavily cambered blade taking a heavy cut in a 5 vs a 5 1/2.

The truth is that after you have it, you will use what you have and it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Stanley No. 4-1/2, bedrock No. 604-1/2
    Sargent VBM No. 410
    Millers Falls No. 10

Of the list above, the easiest to find would be the Millers Falls No. 10.....
    Not for me, I haven't scored a MF #10 yet. The easiest to find was the Stanley Bailey.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Not for me, I haven't scored a MF #10 yet. The easiest to find was the Stanley Bailey.
    And those, in decent shape, do not come by very often.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)