Thread: Drill bit hollowing tool

Drill bit hollowing tool

Here are pictures of my 5/8” HHS drill bit hollowing tool. Using it on end grain black walnut bowl. Super hard wood. 0419F408-1CD0-4DC3-B425-A12D499CA60C.jpg6503A785-C596-423F-9A91-AEF1E1F2FB8D.jpg

Have never seen one before. What is it used for?? Thanks,

Likely because of my heritage this is the first tool I used to hollow with. When I began tuning I pretty much made all my tools. I think I still have the modified 1/4" bit I used back in the 1990's. Thanks for the reminder.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

How is it used?? Does it simply make a 5/8" hole to start ???
    Or do you use it to make multiple holes?? if so, how??
    Or do you use the sides of the bit to enlarge hole to hollow it out ???

Thanks

Used for end grain bowl hollowing. Not used as a driil but instead use the side with the small chip. Can be re-sharpened many times.

Not used to drill holes. Instead, use side of ground bit to scrape bowl. Very effective on hard wood like black walnut and mesquite. Look at sharp edge with small chip. Can be re-sharpened many times. A lot of torque is encountered with these hard woods so the side handle is a must. Lots of leverage.

Jeff Nicol, who was active on the creek several years ago used one of these. I have one he made for me - quite effective.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I think he is the one that came up with this idea. I ground this several years ago and just found it in my tool collection and am using it for a very hard and difficult black walnut bowl. Also have a large mesquite bowl that I will use it on.

Would you please send me a picture of the ground flute. What size drill? Thanks.

If you prefer, send pictures to Ltsuth@outlook.com. Thanks

End Mill Hollower

I have used a round 2-flute end mill for hollowing. No need to reshape, just use as is. Glad to hear it works for you.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Ball nose end mill or router bit was really popular with hobbyist turners about 25 years ago. I've never considered green walnut a super hard wood. It peels like a potato in my opinion.