Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this Mystery Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Butternut is so soft that you could easily dent it deeply with your fingernail. Totally unsuited to pallets or similar. It can be totally beautiful for cabinet faces, though.
    Yea, beautiful stuff. The house I lived the first six or so years of my life had extensive butternut woodwork including build-ins, as did the house next door. As an aside, I surprise myself actually remembering that. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    High fiber diet?
    We have a large pecan tree in the backyard. Our husky is obsessed with eating the fallen pecans. Shell and all, just crunches them right up. I can tell it's the season because when I do yard "cleanup", it's like little duraflame logs. No fiber issues for him.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    We have a large pecan tree in the backyard. Our husky is obsessed with eating the fallen pecans. Shell and all, just crunches them right up. I can tell it's the season because when I do yard "cleanup", it's like little duraflame logs. No fiber issues for him.

Erik
    Right on Erik, my hound is the same way, LoL
    And the other thing about the pecans is that they're like bullets coming out of the lawnmower and they break windows!

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Right on Erik, my hound is the same way, LoL And the other thing about the pecans is that they're like bullets coming out of the lawnmower and they break windows!Brad
    Brad, thankfully we don't have grass in the backyard but the squirrels chew up pecans in the tree and drop the half-eaten shells on our deck. I swear, it's like stepping on a Lego to land on one of those things with your bare feet.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Brad, thankfully we don't have grass in the backyard but the squirrels chew up pecans in the tree and drop the half-eaten shells on our deck. I swear, it's like stepping on a Lego to land on one of those things with your bare feet.

Erik
    Erik are you sure it's not intentional? Are they up in the tree laughing at you hopping around on one foot in pain? Those squirrels are ornery critters.

Erik
    Since this conversation has already taken a left turn, I'll oblige... Now the real quandary is this... What's worse, stepping in bare feet on the "little duraflame logs" or the pecan shells?
    Regardless, the dang squirrels are definitely up there laughing
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Butternut is so soft that you could easily dent it deeply with your fingernail. Totally unsuited to pallets or similar. It can be totally beautiful for cabinet faces, though.
    You are correct. I missed the comment about hardness. We use a fair amount of butternut because it's rustic appeal seems to fit our aesthetic. I despise working with the stuff. The furry grain, and splintery nature make it wholly unpleasant to process.

So an important question is where was the 36" pipe sourced? Mexico, Canada, Indonesia?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Since this conversation has already taken a left turn, I'll oblige... Now the real quandary is this... What's worse, stepping in bare feet on the "little duraflame logs" or the pecan shells?
    Regardless, the dang squirrels are definitely up there laughing
    Cheers
    Brad, I will take literally ANYTHING over stepping on a lego with your bare feet. ANYTHING.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep