Thread: How to repair aluminum?

How to repair aluminum?

Looks like last night frost damage my garden hose reel. This is make from aluminum. I contact manufacturer and request this part, but with ongoing problem with shipping from China, I would never get it. What should I use to patch it? Is Two-part epoxy will work?
    Please advise.reel - 1.jpg

Thank you, Ed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Many HVAC coils are now aluminum, and are epoxied together. My old Carrier ones lasted 36 years, and were made that way. To clean surfaces prior to applying epoxy, use a STAINLESS STEEL brush. A regular steel brush will leave a thin coating of steel on surface. DAMHIK, but I do!

JB Weld will fix your problem. Be sure to get the regular version not JB Quick. It's a thick 2 part epoxy but from the looks of the size of the hole you may have to cover it so the epoxy doesn't sink in. Ideally, I would use a piece of aluminum duct tape but probably any tape will work. Just be sure to trim the tape so it barely covers the edges of the hole and make sure the epoxy has a fair amount of overlap.

JB Weld would certainly be worth trying. Since it will be under positive pressure from the water when in use, it would be best if repaired from the inside so the water pressure pushes the patch closed. Given the proximity of where the hose connects it should be easy to access the inside. After cleaning the inside, cover the hole from the outside with tape, orient the part so the JB Weld will flow into the hole and apply enough that there is overlap around the inside edge. Once the JB Weld has set up, apply a second layer from the outside. Check the JB Weld website for the best formula to use for aluminum.

Blog Entries
    Be sure to thoroughly rough up the surface with something like 40 grit sandpaper. The epoxy will need lots of tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Be sure to thoroughly rough up the surface with something like 40 grit sandpaper. The epoxy will need lots of tooth.
    This ^^^

I repaired an aluminum water neck housing on my old car with JB Weld. It was still holding strong years later when I sold it. As Frank stated, good surface prep is mandatory. I would grind away as much of that paint /powder coat as possible, clean with acetone or brake cleaner. Possibly lay a piece of wire window screen mesh as a patch over the hole and might take multiple applications. Good luck.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

For this you'd specifically want JB Weld Steelstik putty epoxy. Others will be too thin and potentially fall into the cavity instead of filling it.

Thank you for your help guys!! Will try JB Weld and report back.
    Ed.

epoxy should work fine.

what i want to know, is, do you like the metal hose, and what kind it is, and if you find it better than all the rubber ones that are terrible.

Adam, I have metal hose for one year only and like it so far. Easy to wind in/out, lightweight, not kinking.
    When I decide to go with metal hose, I did some research on Internet. I think this forum has some info too. Finally I bought this one from Amazon. Another hose - 100 feet long not available anymore, this one - BEAULIFE New 304 Stainless Steel Metal Garden Hose with 8 Functions Metal Garden Hose Nozzle 100ft|Flexible, Portable & Lightweight - No Kink, Tangle (Lawn & Garden).
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    epoxy should work fine.

what i want to know, is, do you like the metal hose, and what kind it is, and if you find it better than all the rubber ones that are terrible.

I don't remember ever having JB Weld fail on anything. I also know of several cracked aluminum outboard blocks, as well as jet ski blocks, still running on the lake here, with the water jacket cracks repaired with Marine Tex. Marine Tex should give a little more working time for getting it just right on the inside. With no more pressure than water has, and outside repair, with plenty of surface area, should be plenty strong enough. I would use gray Marine Tex.

http://marinetex.com/products/marine...x-epoxy-putty/

-Abrade around the hole as everyone's suggested-

take that hose reel, and position it so the hole in the elbow is facing straight down.

Mix up some JB weld (or Marine Tex, every bit as good if not better IMO)--

squish some up into the hole with a small putty knife or flat stick, hold it in place for about a minute so it will flow out a bit, squish in some more, wait some more, then maybe one more time for good measure...

Then cover the hole with some tape to keep it from escaping, painters tape, electrical tape, doesn't matter.

The epoxy will flow well beyond the hole from the inside preventing it from blowing out under pressure

a word of caution from experience: IF there is even a HINT of water or moisture inside that pipe, the epoxy will never never never never ever harden...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you guys, I fixed the problem with regular JB Weld ( nothing else in hardware store available). Will wait until tomorrow before using it. Will see.
    Ed.

One more option:

Homedepot sells bondo fiberglass cloth and resin. Works very well for larger holes. I have tried it on a hole and cracks in outdoor hot tub. 6 years, under water, and it never leaked or cracked further.