Thread: New life for an old ornate headboard

Blog Entries

New life for an old ornate headboard

A very nice, very ornate bedroom suite was passed down through our family and wound up with my brother. The problem is that the headland footboard are for a full (double) bed and no one in his family or mine want a double. I suspect this is a pretty common problem. He has been wrestling with the problem for some time. He doesn’t want to sell it but he has no use for it.

I have an idea and I want to see if anyone has done this.

my idea is to build a king or queen headboard that would frame the original. The visible part of the larger headboard would be in some sort of compatible finish and style but not so flashy as to steal a viewers attention from the old headboard.

the set has a footboard also. I’m a bit less concerned about that but I can imagine wings constructed for it.

thoughts?

In general, I'll guess this is possible. It would be helpful to see the actual headboard to put some perspective to it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ve seen a double turned into a queen by new side rails. The new rails have to be set wider, but it can be done. It does not look bad at all.

Blog Entries
    https://external-content.duckduckgo....6pid%3DApi&f=1

I hope this link works. I hunted around to see if I could find something similar to my memory of the headboard. I remember the square posts at the sides which would be a good thing for this enterprise. There is quite a bit of burl veneer. I Romberg the ornate top piece.

this is just one challenge. The other two pieces in the set are kind of small. Not very useful for living but just fine for a guest room.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 04-12-2021 at 3:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Jamie, your reply sounds like a purely structural adaptation. you are right, that would be fairly straightforward.

I have in mind something to extend the decorative part above the mattress.

In the right room, the headboard you linked to might make an interesting conversion to a chaise/daybed or oversized chair. I'm not artistic enough to do it--just thinking out loud.
    earl

We have an heirloom Eastlake bedroom set that is very similar in style and beautiful walnut burl veneer like your picture. We ended up ordering a custom oversized mattress that fit just to the outside edge of the rails. Not perfect but good for the guest bedroom.

Blog Entries
    John, it’s very possible that my brothers set is also Eastlake or some knockoff.

Looks like the real deal. Good luck fitting the bedding.

Mark Twain's wife bought. fancy had carved antique bed with a headboard. He paid so much for it he said he slept facing the headboard so he could see it and get his money back.
    Bill D.

PS: nothing like his bed at his cabin on jack ass hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-12-2021 at 11:12 PM.