Thread: Best flooring urethane

Best flooring urethane

I'm getting close to installing a new VG Fir floor and wondering what the best oil based urethane for floors would be.

I want oil based because I want the UV reaction to help darken the floor over time.

It's hard to beat Bona oil based moisture cure finish for durability.

In California much of the good stuff is not sold anymore. I have to go to Nevada for some stuff.
    Bill D

Bona AmberSeal followed by Bona Traffic HD gives much of the look of an oil based finish with a much tougher film than an oil-based urethane. It's pretty near bullet proof with all the advantages of WB for getting coats down quickly without inhaling a lot of solvent. The finish won't change significantly over time but just starts out nice and stays that way. If you have woods like cherry and walnut they will lighten or darken, as is their wont, with light exposure.

I've used Bona Traffic HD, and can say that it is tougher than regular oil based urethanes. It's nothing like as tough as the old Moisture Cure Urethanes though. I have houses that I built in the 1980's, still with the floors in good shape from the original MCU coating.

They have more toxic solvents in them than anything I know though. I wouldn't install it without supplied air. It outgasses so severely, that it dries about as quick as you can put it down. I sprayed an airplane hanger floor with White MCU, and it's still in fine shape 15 years later. I think it has Acetone, Tolulene, Xylene, and probably every other solvent on the toxic chart, except for gasoline, and it gives it up pretty quickly.

The Bona Traffic HD does pretty good though, and if you can't deal with the high solvents of MCU, it's pretty good.

I haven't done a floor in a while though, and remember seeing some German stuff that I intended to try next. I'd have to look to find it.

Here's one: https://sampsoncoatings.com/products...cure-urethane/
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-12-2021 at 5:12 PM.

Wow. 45+ years in the housing carpentry biz and I've never even heard of moisture cured urethanes. Apparently I've got some learning to do. In my rural-ish area, I'd like to buy locally but not adverse to buying online if it makes sense. As I said, this is over VG Fir so not a hardwood.

Oy! Lots to learn about. Many thanks for the replies thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Wow. 45+ years in the housing carpentry biz and I've never even heard of moisture cured urethanes.
    Think...polyurethane glue. (Gorilla, etc) No reason a finish couldn't be formulated that way, too, I guess!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There used to be a company called Long Floor Supply, that made their own MCU floor finish. I used that for at least 20 years, before Long was bought out by Horizon Forest Products. That was my favorite ever. Since that stopped production, I've mostly used Lenmar. It works good too, but dries faster, probably because it has less solvent in it.

It has No shelf life after opening a container. I used to put any leftover in completely filled empty plastic soda bottles. I'd use that to rub on finish for cabinets, and woodwork in my houses. It looks completely different, rubbed on in thin coats, but is still probably as durable finish as there is. I don't think any of those cabinets have ever needed refinishing, and that was from the '70's, to 2007.

I'd keep a rag in one hand, and squeeze the air out of the bottle as it was used. I miss having that finish, but it doesn't keep, and is pretty expensive.

You have to be seriously careful with the VOC's it gives off. I don't think there is any kind of finish more severe in that respect. You Cannot use it in a house that's being lived in.

https://www.paintoutlets.com/product...smart_campaign
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-13-2021 at 8:28 AM.