Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sears jointer 149.21871 bearings

sears jointer 149.21871 bearings

I've got a 4-1/8" jointer, branded Sears, made by AMT. Probably early 80s.

The bearing were shot, and I was able to pull them well enough, but I don't know enough to buy replacements. I figured there would be a number on the bearing itself, but they are totally without markings. (Oddly there is also no serial number for the machine itself. The model number is stamped on the plate, but the serial space is blank.)

The bearings are sealed, 1/2" I.D., 1-1/8" O.D.

I've tracked down an owner's manual, but it doesn't have those specs.

Sears and other replacement sellers list the part as "no longer available" but that must just mean the machine is no longer serviced. It seems like it must be a standard ball bearing.

Do I need anything very special on this little machine?

AMT would not have used a custom sized bearing. Any online or local bearing store has a replacement for you.

Thank you Richard. I assumed as much, but I'm only just dipping my hand into servicing my stuff.

Measure them with metric calipers. Very unlikely they would be English size. A harbor freight digital caliper is good enough. Check the rubber seal very carefully for a number cast into the rubber under the gunk. You are looking for a 4

I checked with calipers, but I'll check again. What makes you suspect metric on this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Wicklund View Post
    I checked with calipers, but I'll check again. What makes you suspect metric on this machine?
    Metric on most every machine. That's the way bearings are made, most are metric only the oddballs are standard.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

While I agree the bearings in question are prob. metric sized; Sears was known for sourcing oddball stuff. Could be argued that 4 1/8” is an oddball size in and of itself.

They don't have to be metric. Given the age of the machine and all. If Karl already measured with calipers I don't think he's that far off.

https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-bearin...ball-bearings/

If a machine is newer then about 1930 I would assume metric unless it is farm equipment. I can not see AMT paying extra for English size bearings. Very often the shaft will be English with a raised metric boss at each end the bearing sits on.
    Make sure the replacements are sealed not shielded.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If a machine is newer then about 1930 I would assume metric unless it is farm equipment. I can not see AMT paying extra for English size bearings. Very often the shaft will be English with a raised metric boss at each end the bearing sits on.
    Make sure the replacements are sealed not shielded.
    Bill D
    I'm not assuming anything. Here's a metric 6000 series bearing dimension chart. The only thing close to his stated ID is nowhere close to his OD dimension. I only went that direction because I presume he can read calipers. Despite the apparent age reference you can find it on Vintage Machinery and it looks more like a 50's design.

Another thing y’all might consider is that AMT was an importer more than a manufacture. And their factory was in Taiwan.

Think it was sourcing/using non metric size bearings ?

Back in the day when New Departure ruled the ball bearing world there was an "R" series of deep groove ball bearings that were made to imperial dimensions so the inch dimension is a distinct possibility. What you describe could be an R8 bearing. The width is 1/4" if its open or 5/16 with shields or seals. McMaster-Carr lists them as a starting place.

Check with VXB they should be able to help.

https://www.vxb.com/default.asp

Thanks guys.
    I and my kids checked the bearings in strong light. No markings.
    I double checked and it's 1.125" OD, 0.500" ID on my (admittedly cheap) dial caliper. 0.31" width.
    I'll check in with McMaster Carr.

Find a bearing supply house in your area, if you bring them the bearing they will measure it and provide you with the correct bearings.

This is a very common practice.