Thread: Rub out Target 8000cv finish?

Rub out Target 8000cv finish?

Anyone have thoughts on buffing or rubbing out a finish with 8000CV? My guitar project is not as smooth as I'd like, more garishly shiny than I'd like, and areas where I touched up a couple of small sags the sheen doesn't exactly match. I think all of that would be fixed by rubbing out the finish after it is fully hardened, at least that's what I would do with polyurethane or a traditional varnish. Will it work with the 8000CV? Any caveats?

I use Micro Mesh on gular bodies that I've finished with Target Coatings products. While I haven't used 8000cv on them...just EM7000hb and EM6000/6500, I see no reason why the same result will not come with the EM8000cv. I run all the way up through to 12000 with the micro mesh and then buff. If I had a "real" buffer, I'd likely stop with the micro mesh sooner and just buff with various compounds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, that's pretty much what I expected, but I'm basically new to WB finishes so thought asking would be prudent.

I have also rubbed out EM6000. I used 3m rubbing and polishing compound. Works fine.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use Micro Mesh on
    I bought some micromesh after reading a few posts here and have to say I really like it. In the past I used the different 3M pads or steel wool with good results. Micromesh just seems to be easier and the results are great. If you have not tried it before you can buy a starter set with a sanding block on amazon. Not affliated with them.

I've used micromesh to polish CA finished pens, with great results. I bought a set of larger pads that should show up today and I'll have at the guitar.