Thread: Best autostart for 3HP DC and mix of 120 and 240 tools

Best autostart for 3HP DC and mix of 120 and 240 tools

My 3HP Oneida V3000 should be here in about two weeks and I'm wondering about autostart systems for it. I've got a mix of 240 (table saw) and 120 (router, drill press, planer) and it would be nice to have them all autostart it. Is there any downside to autostarting (and shutting down) these bigger DCs? Is it better for the motor if I just turn it on when I start working and leave it on?

Also, any issue using a DC with 7"->6" vents to gather up shavings from handplaning? Should I plan to continue to sweep those?

Oneida suggests the V3000 motor should not be cycled more than 6 times per hour. I let mine run during on/off periods of tool use.

I missed that in the manual. I guess I'll just get used to turning it on/off when starting/finishing. One less gadget to worry about. It's in the back of the shop, so I'm not too worried about sound. If I need to, I can build an enclosure for it.

Hi Aaron,
    I got the Ecogate "Greenbox" automated gate system when I set up my DC and I highly recommend it. It seemed like an extravagance then--15 yrs ago-- but makes shop time so much easier--and safer--"particulate pandemic" and all!!--.You can program it to turn on the DC when you fire up your machine and preset a DC run time after shut down. I use the RF remote to turn on(and off) the DC and just keep it on 'till I'm done milling. The huge advantage for me is blast gate control. I don't have to remember to open/close a gate as I move from machine to machine. I think there are other system out there now and all would be worth considering.

Blog Entries
    I got the wireless remote with mine & keep it clipped to my apron. It's always right where I need it.

I fooled with a number of systems over the decades for remote control and finally got fed up with them and bought a contactor to put at the DC and hard wired switches to the most commonly used points around the shop. Now I'm never more than two steps away from a switch that I can always find, and the switch always works, first time every time. I'm very happy with this solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    Oneida suggests the V3000 motor should not be cycled more than 6 times per hour. I let mine run during on/off periods of tool use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Liebling View Post
    I missed that in the manual. I guess I'll just get used to turning it on/off when starting/finishing. One less gadget to worry about. It's in the back of the shop, so I'm not too worried about sound. If I need to, I can build an enclosure for it.
    You could use current sensing switches at each tool* to trigger an off-delay timing relay. Use the relay output to turn the DC starter/contactor 'ON'. Set the off-delay time to 11-12 minutes (anything >10); this ensures there are never more than 6 starts/hour.

* - Current switches can also be located in breaker panel, wired in parallel on each CB that your tools are connected to. This allows a single 'signal' (pair) to go to the DC.

* - Current switches can also be located in breaker panel, wired in parallel on each CB that your tools are connected to. This allows a single 'signal' (pair) to go to the DC.

I am wired up this way with a couple of changes
    In the main panel there is a current switch on every wire going to a tool that I want to turn the dust collectors on . There is a wire paralleled with all current switches and a wall switch that powers a relay which powers the contactors (current switches couldn't handle the inrush of the contactor). Contactors control power to dust collectors, dust collectors have manual starters with the on button engaged.
    Turn a tool on and the dust collectors turn on, find that I would like to add a time delay for the off, however not enough of a problem in the last 15+ years to do so
    The wall switch is for when I am jumping between tools to eliminate starting stopping too often, as in rip on table saw, then jointer, cut to length on RAS, repeat with a new piece.
    Tore all the dust piping over the winter and only pipe that had dust was going to the RAS and that was more design issue than run time issue.
    Ron

For a small shop that wants to get some level of automation to dust collection, automated gates can fill that need while allowing the collector to "just run" while multiple tools are being used to keep from doing too frequent stops/starts. But honestly, I haven't even found that to be something I highly desire in my shop. That brief pause to change gates helps pace and keeps me from rushing. I use a centrally located switch, too, rather than remotes for the same reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use an iVac contactor with the Minimum Runtime firmware for my V3000. I initially had manual blast gates, but now have the iVac automatically triggered ones. I do have a mix of 120V (router table) and 220V (table saw, bandsaw, jointer/planer). The latest iVac tool modules do not pass the current like the old ones, they just wrap around the power cord to detect the load (either 120V or 220V).

Been using a SSAC current sensor, mounted in panel box since 2000. Only one leg of a 220 circuit has to pass through doughnut. Added a run after break timer to clear the pipes. Relay is also mounted in panel box.

12. The Long Ranger brand remote selected for the voltage of your DC. Very easy to control.