Thread: Onadaga finish

Onadaga finish

I have a client that likes that Stickley Onadaga finish. Anyone ever come up with a method that makes for a close approximation? Looks a lot like Jeff Jewitt's 2nd sample on his site.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Here's a Stickley table finished in their Onondaga finish, and a stool I made and finished with Jeff Jewitt's recipe #5 "Aurora" finish. At least for me, the look is very close. Both are white oak, of course.

IMG_2423.jpgIMG_2420.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    Here's a Stickley table finished in their Onondaga finish, and a stool I made and finished with Jeff Jewitt's recipe #5 "Aurora" finish. At least for me, the look is very close. Both are white oak, of course.

IMG_2423.jpgIMG_2420.jpg
    Thx Dave - I'll give the Aurora a try.

So I tried the Aurora but it was not red enough, then tried his Sample #4 which is supposed to give the Onondaga finish, but again not red enough. I substituted Reddish Brown for the Brown Mahogany Trans Tint and it was exactly what the client wanted. The redddish brown mixture was 1.5 oz to a qt or water. In my experimenting I like the result better if I skipped the SealaCell, so in the final version I went right to the Candlelight gel stain after scuffing the trans timt with a purple pad. Then 3 coats of ArmRSeal satin. The guy who I made it for has 7 original Stickley's and about 15 reproductions. Quite a collector.

IMG_20210506_203927_01.jpgIMG_20210506_203833_01.jpg

Thanks for looping back, Bill

Blog Entries
    Nice piece, and the finish looks great. Oak is one of the few woods that I will try to make drastic change in color with stains or dyes.