Thread: Seriously, why does arthritis hurt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seriously, why does arthritis hurt

As I get older I have some arthritis pain in my knee and hip. So why does it hurt? I understand it inflames the tissues around the joints etc. But what are any nerves doing inside the bones? I think there are few nerves inside the bones that sense tension so you do not overload a bone and break it. But what nerves are there to feel internal bone pain?
    This is a serious question. I just do not understand what nerves are involved. Seems like they could inject botulism in those few nerves and kill the pain.
    Bill D.

The nerves of bone are in the periosteum, a thin membrane on the outside surface of the mineral deposit of the bone.

Mayo clinic has a pretty good header page with links to psoriatic and osteo and rheumatoid and so on.

I tried Voltaren topical from CVS.

It is more effective than Ibuprofen, for me.

"Because"

And I'm right there with you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Count me in as well, my rhuematologist describes it as like little ice crystals adhering to the inner surfaces of knee and hip joints. I'm thinking titanium would be less painful

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I tried Voltaren topical from CVS.

It is more effective than Ibuprofen, for me.
    I just filled a new script for this in pill form. Good to know it may be effective. I haven't taken any yet.

Yes thumbs up for Voltaren! It was previously prescription only in the US, and I had to buy it OTC in Canada. Now OTC here too, which was great news when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Yes thumbs up for Voltaren! It was previously prescription only in the US, and I had to buy it OTC in Canada. Now OTC here too, which was great news when it happened.
    ^^ voltaren works great for me as well. Shoulders and hands. Funny thing is every time I've had a trigger finger released surgically (5 times so far) it has helped with the arthritis. My doc says it's all in my head, which is OK with me. Whatever works.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

If you want a real puzzler, why are there nerves in the prostate? The most painful thing I have ever felt was getting a shot of local anesthesia before a biopsy. I can't imagine why there are nerves there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    As I get older I have some arthritis pain in my knee and hip. So why does it hurt? I understand it inflames the tissues around the joints etc. But what are any nerves doing inside the bones? I think there are few nerves inside the bones that sense tension so you do not overload a bone and break it. But what nerves are there to feel internal bone pain?
    This is a serious question. I just do not understand what nerves are involved. Seems like they could inject botulism in those few nerves and kill the pain.
    Bill D.
    I've got it in my hands. Just what I need as a hand tool enthusiast.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I receive 30% disability from the navy for arthritis. I attribute it to being a navy diver for 13 years. Voltarium works for me usually. Arthritis does not get better. I am 77 and I manage ok.

I do hope you mugs get some relief.

Younger users type too fast for me to keep up.

Sombra Warm Therapy is a topical cream that gives me a lot of relief, buy it on ebay. I buy the 32oz with pump
    Ron