Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brushing "without toothpaste" study

Brushing "without toothpaste" study

I googled - Brushing "without toothpaste" study. I've been "dry brushing" for awhile when I'm away from home. Turns out it's as effective as with toothpaste.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I googled - Brushing "without toothpaste" study. I've been "dry brushing" for awhile when I'm away from home. Turns out it's as effective as with toothpaste.
    Yeah- I asked my hygienist which brand of toothpaste is best and her reply was, it doesn't matter. I guess it is just about leaving a minty fresh taste in your mouth.

The next question will be do the speciality toothpastes like gum and enamel repair do anything? Probably not. But I do know that stimulating the gums with the bristles absolutely is beneficial.

I use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth. My Dentist reccommended it to me. I can say for sure that if I use reglr toothpaste or no toothpaste for a few days I feel more sensitivity to cold and sweets. Just my experience. BTW, I had a reaction (sore, inflamed tongue) from that gum detoxify tooth paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone
    BTW, I had a reaction (sore, inflamed tongue) from that gum detoxify tooth paste.
    Wow- that is interesting. Because I actually feel like it is working but I don't know if it is from the toothpaste or the aggressive gum stimulation by the brushing. For the record, it's just Colgate Gum and Enamel repair toothpaste, perhaps not what you had a reaction to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Wow- that is interesting. Because I actually feel like it is working but I don't know if it is from the toothpaste or the aggressive gum stimulation by the brushing. For the record, it's just Colgate Gum and Enamel repair toothpaste, perhaps not what you had a reaction to.
    My problem came from a product called Gum Detoxify. No problem with gum irritation, my tongue. Went away when I stopped for a while, then tongue problem started again when I tried the tooth paste again.

I thought toothpaste was flavored to keep people brushing longer, because it tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    My problem came from a product called Gum Detoxify. No problem with gum irritation, my tongue. Went away when I stopped for a while, then tongue problem started again when I tried the tooth paste again.
    Well that certainly identifies the source without question. Was this a Crest product? I'm not sure of the exact name of the Crest product I'm using without checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I thought toothpaste was flavored to keep people brushing longer, because it tastes good.
    Most likely true, and it's probably more (just as?) important to brush the gums than the teeth.

I learned to brush Colgate tooth powder, surprised it's still around!
    topo.jpg
    Great for traveling or keeping in your glovebox
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I use one of those electric toothbrushes - I think it's the Oral-B - and like it. I use a small amount of toothpaste with it. I like the taste.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Well that certainly identifies the source without question. Was this a Crest product? I'm not sure of the exact name of the Crest product I'm using without checking.
    Yes it is a Crest product.

Interesting. Did the study occur where there is flouridated water. If so the results may be way off. Some toothpaste has a fine abrasive in it to help scour the grime off the teeth. Did the study use only some kinds of paste and not others? Some toothpaste comes with an antibacterial substance like mouthwash, did the study take that into account. I prefer a toothpaste that has the anti bacterial stuff in it. Lived on a well for too many years. Always used flouridated toothpaste.

Anyone read the warnings on a tube of toothpaste? When you see an ad they always have a nice looking thick gob of it on a brush. Yet it's recommended to only use a dab the size of a pea. If you read the warnings you shouldn't swallow it, shouldn't allow kids under 6 to be around it, and if you do swallow "more than used for brushing" you should call Poison Control or seek medical help immediately. I think dry brushing is actually safer.

That's an interesting study. I guess brushing is mostly about disturbing the biofilm on your teeth to prevent damage.

FYI - Bad reactions to toothpaste may be caused by a manufacturing switch to stannous fluoride ("SF" on Colgate labels) as the active ingredient instead of sodium fluoride. My wife had such a reaction when Colgate Total switched recipes. We contacted Colgate about the issue. It seems Colgate had set up a special option in their phone tree because of so many negative reports from consumers.

Your not supposed to drink mouth wash either. Look at the side effects of a small amount of whiskey. no one should consume that stuff. (I am allergic to ethyl alcohol. I break out in a rash) Heck too much asparagus can kill you.