Thread: 1st Okra of the year

1st Okra of the year

okra_1st_2021.jpg

In the skillet now.

Fresh veggies. I love it
    We had our first tomato last week.
    I picked it, rubbed the dirt off on my shirt and took a bite.
    I can't wait for more. The family planted 17 tomato plants, 8 pepper, some cucumber and herbs.
    We usually can a lot of sauce, salsa and stewed tomatoes.

Looks nice, but I'll pass...not one of my favorite veggies. I'd make a terrible southerner because of that, for sure. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I was a kid okra was served cooked down to mush. Gotta be prepared right. If it’s not cooked right you can always grease the farm
    tractor with it. Fried is my favorite.

I was with you on the berries, but okra?!?!

Hey, I'm just reporting, sharing the joy of the family!

I don't understand why okra exists (hey, I'm a transplanted yankee) but My Lovely Bride, youngest son, and some other relatives LOVE it. So I plant, water, fertilize, weed, cultivate, and pick. She makes fried okra, gumbo, stews with a variety of other veggies and meat, and always cans a favorite (of others, not me): lots of jars of pickled okra. We usually grow one hot pepper plant just to put some in the pickled okra for the relatives. In the last few years I have started eating some of the dishes that have a small amount of okra and to my surprise it didn't kill me!

Matthew, my brother in Marysville said the growing season here is probably two months longer then his, one month in the spring and one in the fall. So far from our garden and "yard" we've been picking large quantities of green beans, cucumber, yellow squash, zucchini, several types of peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and spinach, etc., onions, basil and other herbs, cherries, figs, a couple of early apples, wild and domesticated raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. The ears are developing on the corn and the second planting is about a foot high. Before long we'll plant another round of cucumbers, squash, and beans, and after that the fall greens and such.

I put in a fair-sized garden plot years ago (about 50x150) and fertilize every hear with 15-20 tractor bucket loads of composted llama manure - great stuff! We usually mix it up and grow some things one year and some different things the next.

With fresh eggs, honey, meat from several farmer friends, and desserts from various fruit we are wallowing in embarrassing riches. Over the last few days I picked 5 cups of blueberries and the pie should be coming out of the oven about now. Yikes, gotta go!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    When I was a kid okra was served cooked down to mush. Gotta be prepared right. If it’s not cooked right you can always grease the farm
    tractor with it. Fried is my favorite.
    Yeah, breaded and fried. In New Orleans, where I'm from, everything was breaded and fried, including okra.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Everything gets fried in the south...

SouthernMarijana.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Everything gets fried in the south...
    If it ain't fried it hain't died!

My favorite soup growing up was Chicken Gumbo. My mother told me the taste was from the okra. Tried growing it in the SF Bay Area. Got just one to ripen.

My mother never made anything with okra. She also talked about making watermelon rind pickles but never did.

Other than that, she did cause me to learn to cook meals for myself and others.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well I must admit I don't know what Okra is, but if its a veggi I'd probably like it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My mother never made anything with okra. She also talked about making watermelon rind pickles but never did.
    Me wifey also makes pickled beets, a staple at our house. We've made plain ol' cucumber bread and butter pickles but that was more effort.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Well I must admit I don't know what Okra is, but if its a veggi I'd probably like it.
    It is an acquired taste. When it's (over) cooked (not fried) it can appear slimly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

"No love today" song by bluesman Chris Smither mentions okra. Worth a listen.