Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting drywall on a bandsaw

I cut bone nut and saddle blanks to size on my little bandsaw, and it doesn't seem to hurt it, though it does smell. I don't have to cut a lot, so that probably helps. It's beef bone, I think, if that makes a difference. I like to use the bandsaw to cut upholstery foam for chair cushions, it's easier and more accurate than a bread knife.

I sometimes use an old blade in my tracksaw to cut drywall. It is quick and makes nice accurate cuts and the vacuum gets most of the dust.

To make small cuts, like for an electrical box, I nearly always use an oscillating saw. I showed this to a contractor who used a hand plunge cut saw for this and he said he would switch. The oscillating saw is more accurate and much easier.

I cut Acorn squash on my bandsaw a number of times and no ill affects
    OK Warren, gotta wonder why.

4. You want to experience real stink? Zebra wood, now there's the aroma of a septic tank on a hot Alabama afternoon. And OP don't cut drywall on your bandsaw you will anger the woodworking Gods.

I can't think of one good reason to introduce drywall dust to a Band Saw. Frozen fish and acorn squash are suspect too.

I have a friend who asked if he could use my bandsaw to cut up a deer carcass. When I suggested that would make a mess of my saw he told me not to worry they would pressure wash it before they returned it. Short answer was ....NOOO. Funny thing was his F.I.L. had borrowed a neighbors bandsaw and used it like this for years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    -Customer ran a business making dog chews from deer or elk drop antlers.
    ewwww. I turned a pen in antler once. What a smell!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    friend loaned a bandsaw to his friend who ended up cutting frozen fish on it. When he got it back he threw it out. I cut Acorn squash on my bandsaw a number of times and no ill affects, just blew it off with compressed air after. I still smelled the squash for a few years but it was fine.
    You need to get out more :-)