Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (WIP) Sphere

I have now cast the fourth section on this side one more to go for this side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Thanks Bruce. It seems amazing to me that one can design that in their head. And then to think of the carving and epoxy. Wow! So glad you're sharing all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Hayden View Post
    Thanks Bruce. It seems amazing to me that one can design that in their head. And then to think of the carving and epoxy. Wow! So glad you're sharing all this.
    Thank you Vicki I have gone back and looked for photo of me gluing this piece up this was early fall last year I must have cleared my card on my camera.I have had people ask me to give instruction classes but it's just not a good time in my life for that I have just enough time to make a few art pieces a year. The best thing I can tell you is to try your own take you time think everything trough before doing a glue up.

Thanks for trying. I'm happy to watch you do it. lol

I see you are in MD? I'm on the eastern shore, Cambridge.

Okay everyone I was able to get half of the "SPHERE" casted and gave it a spin on the lathe to clean it all up. There's still a great deal more work yet to do on this piece, but thought I would show where I'm going for those of you that follow me. These photos show the sphere being lit from the inside with a small LED light. This is only rough turned on the inside and sanded to 400 grit on the outside so when completed it will light up even brighter, plus the center section still has clay over parts inside so it will light up better when turned more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That is beautiful. So cool. Too bad you couldn't make resin pieces you could cut into segments and glue up right in the ring. It is so neat with the lights!

Wow! That is beautiful. So cool. Too bad you couldn't make resin pieces you could cut into segments and glue up right in the ring. It is so neat with the lights!
    Even if you could make resin pieces it would be a real mess to glue it up, this is messy enough. Thanks for taking time to comment Vicky and yes I noticed your on the eastern shore MD I'm up here in horse & farm country almost to the PA line about 20 miles south of Gettysburg PA.

Thanks for explaining. Now I see why you do it the way you are. You are in a beautiful area.

Thanks for explaining. Now I see why you do it the way you are. You are in a beautiful area.
    Thank you Vicki keep your eyes open in a few weeks I'll post the finished piece it will have a different name and some more work done to it.