Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Sphere

(WIP) Sphere

"Sphere"
    This piece is about 8" D the size of a pro Soccer ball and has been open air constructed from Walnut & White Oak then as you'll see in the photos filled with color resin and some of the voids being filled are being hand carved and will be filled with color resin. After carving and filling the piece will go back on the lathe and turned thinner, then I will attach one of the top sections with the tenon shown in the photos and then a final turn inside and out. The remaining top section will get rare earth magnets to hold it in place and a led light will be placed inside illuminating the color resin cavities. There is still a great deal of work on this project and once again if you have questions please just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Cant wait to see the final result!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Wow! That is gonna be awesome.

Thank you Fred and Vicki it will be a while, but I'll post some more as I go and the final piece as well.

Really cool project Bruce. I lack the discipline for such things. Can't wait to see how it turns out
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That is amazing and can not wait to see it completed.

Thank you John and Larry I'll be sure and post more as I go.

WOW!!
    Outstanding

Thank you John.

Amazing patience! Saw it on WOW and it looks even better there. Please continue to show progress shots. I'm very interested in the process you will use to add resin.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Amazing patience! Saw it on WOW and it looks even better there. Please continue to show progress shots. I'm very interested in the process you will use to add resin.
    Thank you Peter and for posing the inquiry, The photos should look the same here as they do on WOW they are the same photos and the same size, unless that site has some type better resolution I'm not a photographer what so ever.

I was thinking of posting these next photos there showing how I have been casting the resin on this piece "SPHERE" but I have had very littlie response on that site to my process. It's like folks are reluctant to ask questions or comment on that site.

Anyway in these photos I'm showing how I cast the center sections but i made a slight change. I'm using modeling clay to hold the resin in place and to plug the cavities while the resin sets. On the center sections I did not section off each cavity, and had some spill over causing there to be two colors mixing in a few places. This time I'm using three colors and wanted better control so each has it's own dam if you will. The reason i chose modeling clay is first off it won't hurt my gouges while turning, second it's easy to shape anyway I need and it's fairly cheep to buy.

I also have carved all the triangles to the the pencil lines and have shown the inside of the project to help you understand how I'm doing this project, but if you have questions please just ask I do not mind answering and will help you in anyway I can with your projects.
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 04-12-2021 at 3:53 PM.

I pushed through last night and cast another section, on to the third casting in this section, here's a photo of how it looks after removing the clay and the resin I'm using in the background.

I'm curious how you designed it and keep the sections 'straight' as to what to carve and what to leave. Do you use a computer program? Seems like there might have been a lot of math? In any case I'm glad you are sharing this unique project with us. It's fun watching it progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Hayden View Post
    I'm curious how you designed it and keep the sections 'straight' as to what to carve and what to leave. Do you use a computer program? Seems like there might have been a lot of math? In any case I'm glad you are sharing this unique project with us. It's fun watching it progress.
    The piece was built like an open air segmented piece kicked up a notch, I never use math programs in any of my designs it's all done by eye. the V's & Diamonds were set in place around a segmented ring. Then sanded flat on the top side and another ring was glued on. If you look at this photo you can see the pencil lines that I carved to that's the only carving so far, the rest is all glue up segmented rings. I hope this helps up understand how it was put together but if you still have questions please feel free to ask.

And here's another photo showing some carved and others not carved and the color resin that still needs to be turned down flush to the spheres shape, you can also se where the colors mixed a bit in the center sections.