Thread: Modifying a Veritas Small Plow?

Modifying a Veritas Small Plow?

Hi all,

I had an idea I wanted to toss around and see if wiser and more experienced woodworkers can talk me out of it...

1) I kind of want a kerfing plane (I imagine a lot of you have worked for years without one, but the thread isn't about talking me out of it)
    2) I am waiting on a Veritas small plow

I was wondering how bad it would be if I drilled the skates of the small plow and added a blade sandwiched between the inside of the skate and a strip of brass?
    will I be destroying a perfectly nice and beautiful plane, or could it actually work?

the whole thing would be removable

lastly, what if I tried to do it to the "wide blade conversion kit" piece - I would feel a whole lot better if I needed to reorder that piece rather than ruin a perfectly good plane...

Untitvcghled.jpg

Assaf, I would not do this - not because it is undoable, but because you are likely to damage the Small Plow for minimal gains.

I have little interest in resawing by hand. I prefer to use a bandsaw. However, should I wish to follow along this direction, I would either build a dedicated kerf plane, or use the Small Plow with a 1/8” blade to create a kerf for the saw blade to follow. Another alternative would be to seek out a cheap #043 plough plane (Record was copied by a number of makers, and these are available cheaply), and convert that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I saw a kit for a kerfing plane just recently. I think it was a blackburn. It was an inexpensive kit and possibly a fun build. get abox of parts, make a kerfing plane. I don't own the veritas small plow yet either but consider Derek a highly reliable resource on this subject.

I do consider Derek a good resource, does anyone know anything about a Stanley No. 248 Weather Stripping Plow Plane? I can see what on a bidding site with a broken mouth. would something like that do?

Assaf, some years ago I converted an old cheap stair saw into a kerfing saw. My version is a fixed 1/2”, but shims could be made for other widths.

Here’s the old thread:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....to-kerfing-saw

How about going on with your idea, but in a non-destructive manner. I imagine a kerfing saw blade, attached to a kind of pocket, in which the skate of the small plough plane fits snugly (both in width and length). When sawing the blade is pushed upwards and backwards, and thus the clamping/screwing may be unnecessary.

Maybe there is another way of fixing the kerfing blade to the skate without drilling or otherwise change the plough plane?

Before this, I would take the kerfing blade and just clamp between the skate and a bar of metal or wood to give it a try and see if you like this plane to be used this way, and if it works as you want.

Making tools and adjustments to tools is great fun, give it a go!

Good luck,

Oskar

Blog Entries
    Contact Rob Lee at Lee Valley and ask him.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca

If you want to convert a plough plane, rather purchase a Record 44, such as this ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-044c...UAAOSwxsNf2Nqt

Regards from Perth

Derek