Thread: PM 2820EVS Versus Nova Voyager DVR

PM 2820EVS Versus Nova Voyager DVR

In a recent post, the comment was made about the Nova Voyager Dress being Diminutive Machine. The exact quote is below.

“It’s physically such a diminutive machine, it’s hard to take it seriously.”

I have the Nova Voyager and was a little taken aback by the comment so I decided to compare the two machines. I created the attached table as a comparison and tried to be fair when comparing the two machines. I looked up the specs for each machine on the website. In terms of size and weight, the two machines are similar.

The PM does has a larger table by 4" and the swing is 20" versus 18" for the Nova. These are nice features. I build my own woodworking table for my Nova so the size of the table does not make a difference. The 2” extra swing is nice but I have not needed it. The PM also has a laser sight, LED Lamp and fence. which are nice. One could add these to the Nova for less that the price difference in the two. The PM is currently on sale for $250 more than the Nova and one could add these features for less than that.

One of the major differences is that the PM is significantly lower powered at only 1 hp compared to the 1.75/2.0 hp of the Nova. In addition, the spindle speed range on the Nova is much better. The other major differences include the ability to go into reverse on the Nova along with a lot of other computer features such as depth control, speed recommendations and too many others to mention.

There is no doubt that both machines are capable and personal preferences will make the difference. However, calling the Nova Voyage diminutive is just a miss characterization. The PM Is a nice machine but lower powered and does not have some of the features such as reverse or digital controls.

Nova 1.jpg

Nova 2.jpg

Boom!! Great comparison.

I think you mis-understood the comment. The Nova is tiny compared to the PM, I was lucky enough to see both of them last week next to each other. The physical dimensions may be the same, but the motor housing is tiny and to my mind flimsy looking compared to the PM. For me, the Nova was never in the running anyway, I am against all that computer stuff in the garage, I want decades long reliability in my tools. It even took me several years and one good sized cut before I finally acquiesced to getting a SawStop. I came home with a Jet because its what they had in stock, if they had been willing to sell me the floor model PM, I would have come home with that. The Nova may be the best, but all those electronics where they are not needed scare me, so not for me.

I replaced a Chicago Machinery (Harbor Fright (spelled correctly)) press that I paid $20 at a garage sale back in the mid-1970's whose runout was measured in inches, not thousands, so the Jet is like a major upgrade, I did want the PM though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rambour View Post
    I think you mis-understood the comment. The Nova is tiny compared to the PM, I was lucky enough to see both of them last week next to each other. The physical dimensions may be the same, but the motor housing is tiny and to my mind flimsy looking compared to the PM. For me, the Nova was never in the running anyway, I am against all that computer stuff in the garage, I want decades long reliability in my tools. It even took me several years and one good sized cut before I finally acquiesced to getting a SawStop. I came home with a Jet because its what they had in stock, if they had been willing to sell me the floor model PM, I would have come home with that. The Nova may be the best, but all those electronics where they are not needed scare me, so not for me.
    The tech on the Nova is clearly from the 80’s, in fact the 80’s keep calling and they want it back. So I wouldn’t worry too much about that, they built stuff more rugged back then. It’s the tech on the PM that I would be more worried about, they only guarantee parts availability for ten years. BTW, the reason the motor housing on the Nova might be smaller is they do it smarter?

The reason the Nova head is smaller is that there is no gear box or shifter. It is just the motor and fewer moving parts. The motor is twice as powerful and can run in reverse and a larger speed range. The Nova weighs almost the same as the PM and similar in size.

I often hear the complaint about using electronics. We are surrounded by them. If you do not care for them that is fine.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 04-09-2021 at 7:29 PM.