Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to order a bench top from a sawmill

Just as an FYI, Baird Brothers is a full service lumber yard with extensive custom fabrication capabilities. I believe they have an associated sawmill operation as well.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

If you want something really hefty...Matt Cremona makes massive workbench kits and can provide them with the tops pre-dimensioned if you prefer. https://mattcremona.com/product-category/workbench-kits. You may need to wait a bit before he has more stock available, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used the term sawmill based on the sign on their building. Maybe the first generation was more of a traditional sawmill, but they have grown. And now the third generation does a lot of different work, including custom milling.
    https://www.bairdbrothers.com

When I searched for 8/4 hardwood, I found them to be about an hour away. I noticed they were advertising custom butcher blocks and thought there could be an advantage to their gluing process and equipment. Maybe I'm worrying too much about bench being kept in an unheated garage.

Anyway, the photos show a lot of stored lumber. And that's a good idea to see if I can find a local woodworkers club.

If you are working in marginal conditions, it would be good to get a marginal conditions work bench. It would be like buying a Tesla when you live on a long gravel road, like I do.

A show piece wooden bench subjected to temperature and moisture extremes is going to want to move. If that's Ok, go big.

Most sawmills around here don't have heat. Millwork shops make stuff like what you want. Someone that actually makes benches would be a good start. Shops often charge a lot more for something they don't normally do.

I used to work in a wood laminating factory. Just tell them what you want for a finished product, not how to do it. You can ask how they would do it. If you hear something off,you will know to look elsewhere.

Using 8/4 vs building up the thickness with thinner boards seems like an extra cost that's not really going to buy you anything of value. If anything I think I would be less likely to use it as a work bench if it was made out of a nice piece of wood. I think I would inquire at the location you've listed, tell then what you are looking for, and tell them how you will use it. Let them make a suggestion.

First thing I would do is get a copy of the Workbench Book from Taunton Press or Chris Swartz' book on workbench building, and do some research. After reading some of this info you will be asking why not build your own bench. I got lucky and found a 3" thick maple top from an antique store glued from 1 7/8" face glued boards. I just had to build the base.
    Custom woodworkers could also make what you want.

I got mine from Baird Brothers (a very large one), and the quality is great and service was fantastic. So I would rate them very highly. After I ordered mine, I saw them on an episode of This Old House, which I thought was pretty funny.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Look for pricing and availability. Although they may not have precisely what you want, I ended up going to the local woodcraft and purchasing a Sjobergs kit. The top screws to the base and you can take it apart if you want to move it. Rockler also sells them. I purchased a top, a base, and a cabinet to go under it.

I lacked the skills and equipment to build it myself, and this gave me something usable for a few hours of assembly time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    First thing I would do is get a copy of the Workbench Book from Taunton Press or Chris Swartz' book on workbench building, and do some research. ...
    Stuff has changed.

(I understand) Scott Landis's Workbench Book from Taunton is out of print. But it was recently republished (in HB) by Lost Art Press.

Christopher Schwarz has written another book on the subject: The Anarchist's Workbench. It's available free as a PDF and also as a (paid) HB at Lost Art Press. He also has written Ingenious Mechanicks which explores the history of the workbench and describes benches and work holding options not considered in more modern* texts. (*where modern starts with guys like Roubo and Nicholson. )

Schwarz's earlier workbench books are owned by whoever bought the rights in the PopWood breakup. I assume they're still available from the new owner too.

Thanks guys. I've purchased or downloaded pdf version of all these books. Had a lot of fun over the fall and winter learning about workbenches, work holding, and workshop layouts. So now it's time to get bench built and begin moving from carpentry work to more woodworking with hand tools.

I had my Roubo style workbench in my unconditioned garage in Texas for 8 years before I built my shop and had no issues. I really wouldn't worry that much about movement.

Do you have one of those community shops with big machines near you that you pay monthly to access? I would think if you could join something for a bit there would be other members willing to help you build it and run it through the machines.

This bench will not be real big so the added complication of making it KD is unnecessary unless you have a basement shop with a tortured stairway. In that case you'd better stick to hand tools.