Thread: using tool cart for jointer stand

using tool cart for jointer stand

Has anyone used a rolling tool cart for a jointer stand and had regrets?

My shop is a crammed full 2 car garage and I need to get a benchtop jointer out of the box and onto a stand and I need more tool storage so I figured I would buy the HF US General 44x22 tool cart and put the 8" benchtop jointer on top. looking wheels and 2000 pound capacity so seems sturdy enough and height is , well benchtop height.

You might want something better than the locking wheels to hold it steady. Otherwise it should work just fine as long as the height is right for you. I have one with a side shelf with a Trormek sharpener on it. I welded the shelf so it wouldn't fold down. But it's one of the mechanic's carts and the top of the cart opens up for storage.

yeah I was picking one out that has solid top and top drawer not a popup top. Ya think the wheels will be a problem huh? Was wanting it on wheels to move around shop. I have 550 feet and 20 stations with tools and the only way it works well is to configure based on what I'm doing.

I have the wheels locked on my cart but there's still some movement. But like a mobile base you should be able to find a way around it. Casters that lock both the wheels and the swivel could be an option for example. I've seen people use tool boxes to hold the weight of an engine from a car so weight isn't an issue. I think I would put something like 3/4" mdf on top (unless you are looking at one with a wooden top) of the box to deaden any vibrations.

Personally I like having my sharpener on wheels. Since I turn I'm always sharpening turning tools. Being able to put it in a position that's close is nice. I think your plan will work well for you.

yeah I think I can make it work. Might have to drop a few 50 lb clay boxes on each side and that should keep it from moving. Will do on the wood. Love the cart for sharpener idea. HF has that cart and thinking about it.