Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw fence - magnetic or regular?

Lisa I think our bandsaw tables are the same. The slot on mine to put the new blade on is on the front middle of the table, not the side.
    I've seen fence rails on tables like this that stop to the left of the slot.
    No matter what fence I use I will need to get some steel bar and attach it to the front left of my table - the casting is wavy.

Jim, you and me both. I can only aspire to Boggs' level of skill.

I use 1 or 2 magnetic bases, used with dial indicators, for a fence on my bandsaw. I can line the base up on the table by setting the piece I am cutting with the cut line registered at the edge of the band saw blade. Takes a few seconds to line up a cut and mount the base just before the leading edge of the blade.
    I have a 2'x2" piece of mahogany about 12" long that I stuck 2 pieces of .050 thick steel flatstock to, one at each end, with double back tape. I can attach this to the 2 magnetic bases to make a long fence for ripping big pieces. It can be set parallel to the miter slot with a adjustable square to any setting in a few minutes.

The fence on my Grizzly 17" saw was a pain to remove and reinstall. Leaving it in place made my saw into a 14" saw. I leave it and the guide rail in a drawer and clamp a piece of wood to the table when needed. I normally clamp on a point fence.
    Resaw Fence.jpg

I filled the ribs in the bottom of the table with auto body filler to make clamping easy.