Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw vs Circular Saw vs Table saw Vs Miter saw - Which one to start with?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Track Saw vs Circular Saw vs Table saw Vs Miter saw - Which one to start with?

Hi,

I realise that all tools are not equal. I remember someone saying that even a table saw does not equal a table saw does not equal a table saw
    But if someone is just getting into the woodworking hobby with a limited space available for the workshop, which one would you guys recommend to buy first? A Track Saw or Circular Saw or a Table saw or a Miter saw, And why?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-08-2021 at 7:42 PM. Reason: Defaulted text for reasability.

Hi Amelia,
    It really depends on what you want to build. My first saw was a bandsaw. After about 10 years I added a mitre saw and eventually got a table saw. My “track saw” is simply a circular saw with a homemade guide. It lacks the features and capabilities of a true track saw ( from what I have read anyway) but does what I need.
    What kind of work did you want to do?

I would agree that it depends on what you want to build. The thing is, a track saw has its uses, a bandsaw can be a very versatile tool, a miter saw is useful for some things, and a circular saw can be inexpensive and versatile and, with a guide of some sort, accurate also.

I personally feel that, while the track saw, circular saw, miter saw, and bandsaw all have their uses, I would start out with a "jobsite" table saw. Dewalt, Bosch, Sawstop, and others make great jobsite saws, depending on how much you want to spend and what your preferences are. I own one and love it because it can be folded up, moved out of the way, and, when you need it, just roll it out and unfold it. Plus, I'd say that these saws may be more accurate than the used table saw I started woodworking with a lot of years ago. I think they are high quality saws and have been very happy with mine. They have their limitations in terms of handling larger boards, but I still feel the table saw is the most versatile of saws in the shop and found that it's almost impossible for me to get along without one. So, these saws certainly are something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Green View Post
    Hi,

I realise that all tools are not equal. I remember someone saying that even a table saw does not equal a table saw does not equal a table saw
    But if someone is just getting into the woodworking hobby with a limited space available for the workshop, which one would you guys recommend to buy first? A Track Saw or Circular Saw or a Table saw or a Miter saw, And why?

Thanks
    If space is an issue, a track saw and MFT/crosscut table will go a long way. I'd highly recommend taking a look at Peter Millard's 10 Minute Workshop videos, as well as his 10-part series on track saws.

An angle is difficult to cut on a trak saw but not on a table saw. You can't rip on a miter saw but you can on a table saw. A circular saw can do many things but it can't do anything that a table saw can't do. Build your shop around a table saw then add those other tools as your wallet allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    You can't rip on a miter saw but you can on a table saw.
    Actually, you can.

https://www.virutextools.com/miter-table-saw-combo-tm33w-pid290#

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    A circular saw can do many things but it can't do anything that a table saw can't do.
    Mind posting a video of cross cutting 6" off the end of a 16' 4" x 6" with a table saw? I agree with those who advise your choice of best saw depends on what you are working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Mind posting a video of cross cutting 6" off the end of a 16' 4" x 6" with a table saw? I agree with those who advise your choice of best saw depends on what you are working with.
    How many shop projects require a 15.5' length of anything, let alone a 4x6 timber. I'm in the middle of a 20 foot longconference table and don't need to cut anything that long. The OP is asking for advice that actually pertains to entry level activities. There's lithe point in discussing whether or not a 48" or 60" sawmill is more useful. In this particular case a tablesaw absolutely redunds everything about a circular saw.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    How many shop projects require a 15.5' length of anything, let alone a 4x6 timber. I'm in the middle of a 20 foot longconference table and don't need to cut anything that long. The OP is asking for advice that actually pertains to entry level activities. There's lithe point in discussing whether or not a 48" or 60" sawmill is more useful. In this particular case a tablesaw absolutely redunds everything about a circular saw.
    How about if you needed a six inch piece and all you had was a sixteen footer? The point is, in some cases it is better to use a tool that you move to the workpiece rather than vice versa. I do almost all of my cross cuts on the table saw but if I'm breaking down long pieces I use my radial arm saw, jig saw or circular saw. In my small shop, anything longer than six feet is awkward on the table saw but no problem with either of the other three options. I'll bet if you need to put a edge profile on that table top you would use a hand held router not a table mounted router, same principle, sometimes you move the tool, sometimes you move the workpiece.
    I assume "redunds" is a typo, what word did you mean?

A number of years ago I watched a guy installing custom cabinets on a jobsite. Not having a shop close by he had to improvise when he needed to rip a board. He took a 10" circular saw, made a plunge cut on a scrap piece of MDF, and then screwed the saw to it. After flipping the whole thing over and placing it on a couple sawhorses to make a makeshift table saw. Anything can be done. But since it sounds like the OP is just getting started the advice should be which tool will be able to do the most functions with limited skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    A number of years ago I watched a guy installing custom cabinets on a jobsite. Not having a shop close by he had to improvise when he needed to rip a board. He took a 10" circular saw, made a plunge cut on a scrap piece of MDF, and then screwed the saw to it. After flipping the whole thing over and placing it on a couple sawhorses to make a makeshift table saw. Anything can be done. But since it sounds like the OP is just getting started the advice should be which tool will be able to do the most functions with limited skills.
    Alex, this is exactly how I started out with “machines” some 35 years ago. I could not afford a tablesaw back then, and built a version of the original Triton tool centre - most here only know of Triton as a router, but the company began as one Australian man inventing a fixture to hold a curcular saw, and later a router as well.

It could do a multitude of saw cuts, including trenching ...

Eventually, I could afford to purchase one. It lasted a few months before I became frustrated with the need to reset the various settings each time, as it was dissembled to allow cars into the garage. I purchased a contractor tablesaw, and this remained for the next 25 years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    How about if you needed a six inch piece and all you had was a sixteen footer? The point is, in some cases it is better to use a tool that you move to the workpiece rather than vice versa. I do almost all of my cross cuts on the table saw but if I'm breaking down long pieces I use my radial arm saw, jig saw or circular saw. In my small shop, anything longer than six feet is awkward on the table saw but no problem with either of the other three options. I'll bet if you need to put a edge profile on that table top you would use a hand held router not a table mounted router, same principle, sometimes you move the tool, sometimes you move the workpiece.
    I assume "redunds" is a typo, what word did you mean?
    The table redunds, as in makes redundant, the circular saw (I suppose the word is a little archaic). Needing 6" inches off of a 16' board is ad absurdum. Yes, it is often the case that a portable tool is the right tool for the job. Imo, that's very rarely the case with a circular vs a tablesaw in a woodshop. The edge on the table particular table was formed on a 15 resaw, but that's a different post. I think you make my point when you say that most of your crosscutting is done on the tablesaw.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    The table redunds, as in makes redundant, the circular saw (I suppose the word is a little archaic). Needing 6" inches off of a 16' board is ad absurdum. Yes, it is often the case that a portable tool is the right tool for the job. Imo, that's very rarely the case with a circular vs a tablesaw in a woodshop. The edge on the table particular table was formed on a 15 resaw, but that's a different post. I think you make my point when you say that most of your crosscutting is done on the tablesaw.
    Very archaic, if fact Chrome spell check underlines it red as misspelled, thus my question. Six inches was an exaggeration to make a point, it could have been cutting a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4"plywood into 2' x 4' pieces to make a box, I would not attempt that on my table saw but a with a circular saw and straight edge it would not be difficult. While most of my crosscuts are with the table saw, why would you limit your tools to do most of your cuts? Most could be 51%, a shop that is only equipped to make 51% of any type of very common cut would be very frustrating. So I didn't make your point, however you did make mine: "Yes it is often the case that a portable tool, is the right tool for the job." That was exactly my point.

To answer the plywood question, if I don't have my truck and I want some plywood for a project I just have it cut at the lumber yard to about an inch longer than I need. I wouldn't have 20 sheets cut up into various sizes but for one or two I think it's a very viable way to avoid buying a track saw right off. A circular saw shouldn't really be an issue. As long as you don't mind a corded saw there's lots of good used ones for not much money on Craig's list and Facebook. Unless the OP comes back with more information as to what they want to accomplish I would go with a good table saw as my first piece for my woodworking shop.

I would say table saw first but as everyone has said it does depend on what you want to build