Thread: Truck bed drawers

Truck bed drawers

I am looking to make the bed of my pickup more usable, but after looking at the cost of the systems, I am confident I can make something better for much less. Anyone ever make a set of drawers that they like? I have a short bed, so am thinking about 48"-60" long, full width and perhaps 10" tall.

I found glides long enough, but since they are pricey and I was thinking wooden shop built ones might be better. I have made shorter one, 12"-20" long, but not sure the 4'-5' ones will work out. Any one ever made some that long? I am thinking oak since I have a bunch of red oak sitting not being used.

Baltic Birch for the top, sides, bottom and drawers seem a great fit. Lighter and stronger than most other options I can think of, but again, suggestions much appreciated. I will use the drawers for tools, screws, etc. all the normal things needed for construction.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Have you thought of putting casters on the underside of the drawers to help them to go in and out when loaded with a bunch of tools and nails?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would think wood runners would be problematic with the length and weight. I also think casters would be problematic with the gap between the bed and the tailgate. They would also take up a lot of usable space. How are the systems secured? I always wondered about tipping when a drawer is fully extended.

Dont know if this will help but I saw this on my recommended videos last night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-BWmPaBfjQ

look at "bed slides" that is what I have in my truck. Two pieces of c channel the length of the bed. you will have to weld to make it. Also requires 4 good sized bearings. Mine is rated at 1,000 pounds. You loose about 4" of height. I bought mine used and had to narrow it by 1/2" and shorten it by about 2". Alignment was not super critical.
    Bill D
    not mine but you get the idea. similar to how oven racks work or file cabinet slides.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Truck-Sl...-008/311654045
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-08-2021 at 3:44 PM.

We've used these with good results. They hold up reasonably well. Several variations available. I can't imagine wooden slides performing well in your application. These I linked here bolt to the floor and as I recall are full extension. Even here in the rust belt they have held up well with very little care given to them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=weather+g...ref=nb_sb_noss
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 04-08-2021 at 5:10 PM.

Thanks for the video link. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks all other too.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Whatever you come up with make sure the drawers securely lock in place.
    I watched a contractor load a full pallet of flooring into his slide out truck bed, while at Lowe's. I overheard him tell the Lowe's guy on the forklift "it's rated at 1500lbs, should be fine". He takes off, I go get in my rig and take off. I pull up behind him at the stop sign to turn onto the main road. He takes off and that whole sliding bed and pallet of flooring eject out of the back of his truck. (He had one of those big canopies, that has the double doors instead of a tail gate)

Being the good citizen I am, of course I helped him pick it up 😉

We're chatting and hes telling me how the bed is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, etc, etc.

I really think he forgot to lock the sliding bed in place.