Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding paste or Mineral oil and bees wax finish

Sanding paste or Mineral oil and bees wax finish

I have made some before but, was not happy with the consistancy- too thin /runny IMHO. So I started this time with the recipe that said 4 parts MO to one part Beeswax by weight(20 ounces MO to 5 ounces of beeswax). Came out way too runny after set up. So I put it back in the crock pot and added 3 more ounces of beeswax. Closer but, no cigar. I am looking for something close to paste wax consistancy. I have added 2 more ounces of beeswax this time around so, I am at a 2/1 ratio now with 2 parts MO to one part BW.

Do any of you make your own like this and if so, what consistancy do you get and what is your mix ratio?

Thanks for listening to an old guy vent.
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

I wouldn't add ANY mineral oil to beeswax.

If anything, I would add in small amounts of mineral spirits to make the wax more pliable. Mineral oil doesn't dry fast enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I wouldn't add ANY mineral oil to beeswax.

If anything, I would add in small amounts of mineral spirits to make the wax more pliable. Mineral oil doesn't dry fast enough for me.

I have used this as a finish over triple e ultrashine and it leaves a bit more satin finish than my usual finish, but I haven't like the consistancy. Even on my last batch, it had a bit too much oil in it. Oh well, I will get in tuned in eventually.
    Denny

I've been using this stuff with good results. It appears they use carnuba and bees wax along with their orange oil. Maybe this can offer a hint to success

20210407_164303.jpg
    20210407_164254.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Denny -- A couple of comments: First, the advantage of making it yourself is you get the consistency you want. Keep adding more was/less oil until it's as thick as you want it to be.

Second, the purpose of the wax is to help keep the oil from spinning off as you sand. You want the mixture as thin as possible -- while still not slinging too much off. The 'right consistency' depends on a number of factors. Power sanding, with the lathe at a relatively high speed, calls for a thick sanding lubricant. Sanding by hand, with the lathe slowly turning, calls for a thinner mixture.

Generally, I wet sand my projects. For wood, my preferred sanding lubricant is walnut oil -- no wax. It works well for me. If I turn the lathe speed up too high, it can cause quite a mess. But, hey, my smock is already stained with lots of other things, some walnut oil won't hurt it. And, I cover the bed of the lathe with newspaper. My point is NOT that you should do as I do. My point is you'll be best served to come up with a solution that best meets your needs.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Denny,

I sent some beeswax from my hives to a gentleman a few years ago and he experimented.

His final formula:
    Mixed the wax with BLO
    40% wax/60% BLO.
    Added a splash of EV olive oil to retard any drying from the BLO.
    Mixture seems to be top notch.

JKJ

Mike Peace has a YT video on making a sanding paste. There are others too but his is pretty typical

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    Mike Peace has a YT video on making a sanding paste. There are others too but his is pretty typical
    Yeah, I've watched his and some other's videos. They were saying 4: 1 ratio and that has been too thin for my liking. I don't use so much as a sanding paste but rather a finish on top of the tripple E ultrashine.
    Denny

I make and sell my own mix of 50/50. Used on cooking utensils and salad bowls easily rubbed in by hand. The consistency is similar to butter which has been sitting out at room temp here in BC about 68 degrees.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

John, Denny, Peter,

Are the ratios by weight or volume of the components?

Thanks
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Mine is by volume, I think, haven't made any in years though so don't quote me .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I heat 64 oz of mineral oil in crock pot and add 1 lb of beeswax till it melts then pour into a container.

Consistancy is fairly thick. message me with your address ill send some

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I heat 64 oz of mineral oil in crock pot and add 1 lb of beeswax till it melts then pour into a container.

That's pretty close to the ratio I started with about 4 to 1. Mine did not come out thick. Do you stir yours continuously or just let it heat? I didn't stir mine just periodically and it came out thin.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    John, Denny, Peter,

Are the ratios by weight or volume of the components?

Thanks
    I've been going by weight which is what Mike Peace and others on you tube were going by.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post

I haven't found a way to send a message directly to you on here as yet.
    Denny