Thread: Delta 28-216 bandsaw tune up questions

Delta 28-216 bandsaw tune up questions

I just bought a Delta 28-216 bandsaw. Guy I bought it from said he was the first owner and that he never used it. The whole story seemed true enough and besides rust from sitting around unused it seemed like it was in great shape. I think I paid a fair price, the 8 hour round trip drive offset this but I did get a 1.5/2hp American made bandsaw in my price range with seemingly low use and a mobile base. I'm in the process of breaking it down, cleaning and figuring out what needs to be replaced. I ordered a new drive belt, some ceramic thrust bearings and guide blocks so far. I did not need the ceramic guide blocks but I was placing the order anyways and it was an extra $15. Having small parts that do not rust was enough of a reason for me. The drive belt was stuck in the shape that it sat in for however long the guy had it and the thrust bearings were gummy so those I went ahead and ordered. The parts I am wondering about are the tires and the bearings for the wheels. The tires seem alright, tight to the wheel, one track mark where the 1/4inch blade was but still convex. Would it be worth replacing them anyways since they are probably 20 years old according to the serial # on the saw? The bearings for the wheels seem to spin freely but also they've been sitting for 20 ish years and are being judged with the wheels attached. I have not put a lot of effort into pulling them out of the wheels, but it is going to take a little muscle it seems like. Should I pull them out to get a better idea? Any other little things to check for? This is my first bandsaw so i've just been going off of what I've been able to read and my small knowledge of how things work. Is there some kind of lube that works well to keep the rust off of the small parts without accumulating a sludgy layer of saw dust?

Thank you for any info.

New tires are probably a good idea. For the bearings, I would just fire it up and see how it runs. If the bearings are bad they will let you know. Some folks just replace bearings every 20 years, but I see no reason to do that if they work fine. I have essentially the same bandsaw from 1996, all original bearings. It gets regular use, but despite being 25 years old, the bearings are just fine.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 04-07-2021 at 3:24 PM.

I agree with Andrew re. the bearings: Only worry about them if you start to get vertical play in the arbor shafts. Definitely new tires. Best of luck with your project.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep