Thread: Stanley no. 193 fiberboard beveler.

Stanley no. 193 fiberboard beveler.

Rare? Just saw one at a local antique store. Curious about what the application was for beveled fiberboard which I thought was a more recent development.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 04-07-2021 at 2:22 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Michael, You might want to read what Patrick Leach says about them at > http://www.supertool.com/

That is the welcome page to his web site. There is a link to 'Blood & Gore' click on that. Read the note and click on proceed. On the next page is a bunch of stuff to read when struck by insomnia. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Planes #141 - #196. Scroll down to the #193 for the information you want.

There are a few planes Mr. Leach does not like that many others find very useful. This isn't likely one of those.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Rare? Just saw one at a local antique store. Curious about what the application was for beveled fiberboard which I thought was a more recent development.
    I suspect you're conflating fibreboard (for which that plane was designed) with modern MDFs (medium density fibreboard)
    The former was much more like dense, thick, cardboard than is the modern product. It was typically grey, had sound deadening qualities, and was popular in the late 30s and well into the fifties, as my recollection goes.

btw - it's important to distinguish between "rare" or "scarce" on the one hand, and "valuable" or "desirable" on the other.

I don’t understand why he didn’t say what he really thought of them I was just curious. Was $65 also had an 05. Only hand tool I use consistently in my shop is a pencil sharpener.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    I suspect you're conflating fibreboard (for which that plane was designed) with modern MDFs (medium density fibreboard)
    The former was much more like dense, thick, cardboard than is the modern product. It was typically grey, had sound deadening qualities, and was popular in the late 30s and well into the fifties, as my recollection goes.
    Thanks. I was actually thinking about the thin material that’s used for pegboard or sometimes solid material nowadays sold at the big box stores. And I guess 1951 was the year the plane was made and not the number. DOH
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 04-07-2021 at 2:21 PM.