Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone putting off projects because of material price increases?

Anyone putting off projects because of material price increases?

I commented earlier about recent copper pipe price increases and came to the conclusion that had the increase occurred in advance of my compressed air piping project I probably wouldn't have moved forward with it. My next project was to add onto a shop mezzanine but after looking at current lumber prices I may delay that or cancel it altogether. Anyone else faced with this dilemma? Will prices eventually drop to what they were before?

It's certainly a concern relative to construction type projects. It's also causing me to consider alternative materials/methods. It's not likely going to impact any of my woodworking projects because in the scheme of things, they are small potatoes and I make decisions based on intended end-result rather than materials cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We had been planning a full gut kitchen remodel this year but are considering postponing it. Cost is part of it, but availability of things like appliances, fixtures, cabinets, etc. is of more concern since a kitchen remodel can be so disruptive. I don't *know* that availability is an issue as I haven't dug in that far yet, but I've heard so many stories that I strongly suspect it will be.

I don't expect to see prices revert to pre-covid range anytime soon. It always seems prices are quick to rise, slow to fall, and the hot housing market will keep upward pressure on prices while it lasts.

As Jim said, haven't altered much in the way of shop projects. I buy most of my lumber direct from a sawmill and haven't seen much increase to date, and generally not talking about huge dollar amounts anyway.

I just finished my kitchen remodel. I really didn't notice much of a price difference on the things I needed. Appliances were a pain to get. I had to source them from several different places and took up to 4 months to get some of them. Not a big deal because I worked alone and I am slow. I don't have anything big planned. I am making baseboard for the whole house now. Non framing materials haven't risen much from what I can tell.

Blog Entries
    Yes. I have a active deck permit that I'll have to file for a extension on. The only thing done is the footings (last october.) I was waiting on lumber to drop before I moved forward... yeah right. 508sqft with 228 of that being screened in under a roof.

Blog Entries
    Yes. On the upside several of the major builders have called a work stoppage in this area due to costs. Suddenly all those things you couldn’t get at the home store are readily available. Hopefully this is the beginning of the pendulum swinging back to wherever it’s going to eventually land.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have to repair some siding on my garage, so that will continue. Other outdoor projects are on hold. A precut 2x4 is $9.59 at Menards now. At least $6 higher than what I paid in the past. What started as a way to get fire pit kindling for us has now turned into recycling lumber. Local commercial architectural glass company has a place where they stack crates as free for the taking. Everything from 10' 2x6s to 2' 4x4s. Some still goes to kindling, but getting a nice stack of lumber for small projects. You sure need the proper equipment to pull those spiral nails!

If dimensional goes up any higher im going to replace the studs in my walls at home

I was looking for a sheet of 1 1/8" Advantech and of the 3 places I called none had it in stock. On the occasion I want to see just how bad it is I'll hop on a box store website and see what's in stock. Simple things like 2x4s or plywood. If I had no choice I'm sure I would just pony up and pay the price but next spring the prices are going to be half what they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I commented earlier about recent copper pipe price increases and came to the conclusion that had the increase occurred in advance of my compressed air piping project I probably wouldn't have moved forward with it. My next project was to add onto a shop mezzanine but after looking at current lumber prices I may delay that or cancel it altogether. Anyone else faced with this dilemma? Will prices eventually drop to what they were before?
    I was going to convert my attached 2 car garage 22X24 into more space for my breakfast room, and add another bedroom and bath. At $68 for 3/4 plywood and $8.50 for one 2x4 rethinking the project. Additionally, I read windows are getting harder to get with lead times of 10 to 12 weeks. The Question I can't reconcile in my mind will it be less expensive after the summer? Or are prices going to be the same or higher at the end of the year?

Yes. A 24 x 40 addition to a shop, and a dock, and boathouse complex.

Had planned to finish our basement last summer and was blown away at 2.5X the price of lumber. Many builders have stopped building as the price of material is through the roof but not the house prices.

Not stopping here. Just got the sawmill setup for the season with logs waiting and already have a trailer semi full of sawn and dried lumber. Nothing big on the docket though. A small cabin/fort to build with a couple kids on our land, finish siding on my house, maybe redo the deck on the house at the same time, and a bunch of interior trim work and some cabinets at home.

Alan

Actually, the reverse happened to me. My back yard fence was falling down. I had an estimate in February and paid to have it done ASAP, as I have found the lumber prices going up and with all the new construction demands in the Seattle region, the prices are only going up! My buddy bid on a fence job & when he went to Home Depot, there was no pickets at any of the stores in the area. Same thing happened when I went looking for electrical panel breakers.

I'm planning a new building. The price of the materials doesn't concern me much compared to the work that goes into the building. It boils down to deciding what I want more, the building or the money it will cost.

JKJ