Thread: Almost complete and just in time with compressed air piping installation!

Almost complete and just in time with compressed air piping installation!

I've been waiting for over a week for Home Depot to complete an order for copper pipe to complete my compressed air piping installation. They've been completely out of stock for 3/4" Type L. Checking in with them yesterday I noticed the price has increased over 70% since my original order. And they are no longer offering bulk pricing for this item.

Many building materials are uber-expensive right now, unfortunately. I'm actually considering one of the compressed air "systems" for my new shop after I get it up. I have copper now, but for the reason that you mention, I'll be looking carefully at the cost when the time comes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Hey, what about Pex? I know PVC is bad because of shattering but the softer vinyl stuff should be ok, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Hey, what about Pex? I know PVC is bad because of shattering but the softer vinyl stuff should be ok, right?

There are plastic tubing compressed air 'systems' offered. They have been quite a bit more $$ than copper. Perhaps not so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I've been waiting for over a week for Home Depot to complete an order for copper pipe to complete my compressed air piping installation. They've been completely out of stock for 3/4" Type L. Checking in with them yesterday I noticed the price has increased over 70% since my original order. And they are no longer offering bulk pricing for this item.
    What attracted you to copper over the usual galvanized steel pipe installs, which offer more flexibility with connection to other stuff (NPT threads etc)? It sounds like kind of a pain.

I was at our local Home Depot today and had to stop in plumbing for a couple of things. The rack for the copper was pretty full. I did not check for type L, however, and one must always look carefully 'cause folks move stuff around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've often wondered why no one uses DOT nylon air brake line. It's tough stuff. You can use use push in fittings that can be disconnected the same way. 900 PSI burst pressure on 5/8" OD tube. I don't know how it compares to the air line kits cost wise.

https://www.polyconn.com/nylon-d-o-t-tubing-5-8-od#1

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I've often wondered why no one uses DOT nylon air brake line. It's tough stuff. You can use use push in fittings that can be disconnected the same way. 900 PSI burst pressure on 5/8" OD tube. I don't know how it compares to the air line kits cost wise.

https://www.polyconn.com/nylon-d-o-t-tubing-5-8-od#1
    I use truck air brake hose to connect the compressor to the main plumbing system, and the main plumbing system (which is hung from various points on the ceiling) to whatever filters or manifolds etc are attached to the walls. Something about vibration mitigation. Available at any serious truck supply shop. (Big trucks, not little ones.)

As far as using air hose to do the _entire_ plumbing system, that would be interesting (I’ve never heard of that.) You’d want methinks more physical controllability for high or low spots and overhead drops etc, easier to do that with solid.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 04-08-2021 at 7:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I use truck air brake hose to connect the compressor to the main plumbing system, and the main plumbing system (which is hung from various points on the ceiling) to whatever filters or manifolds etc are attached to the walls. Something about vibration mitigation. Available at any serious truck supply shop. (Big trucks, not little ones.)

As far as using air hose to do the _entire_ plumbing system, that would be interesting (I’ve never heard of that.) You’d want methinks more physical controllability for high or low spots and overhead drops etc, easier to do that with solid.
    I'd agree that it would be better to use solid tube for drops. Secure with conduit straps and tee at the bottom and add the quick disconnect. The beautiful thing about the truck air line is that if down the road you want to add a drop in literally minutes you can have it completed. Using the push in lock connectors. They also release by pushing the locking mechanism in. Maybe one of the best kept secrets out there.