Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurrection process for an abused ICS

Resurrection process for an abused ICS

Well I kinda fell into a deal for an ICS that had been in a building when the roof collapsed on it. The left wing and fence rails are toast, the cabinet a bit beaten, and it obviously saw water damage. Well upon disassembly, the massive trunnions are fine, the arbor is within a thousandth, and just had general surface rust everywhere. I spent 4 days with an oilstone on main table and right wing. I’m not planning on replacing the left wing, instead I’ll probably put on a slider. I’m refitting my original PCS 36” rails shifted to the edge of the main table-that will give me approx 47” of usable fence to the right of the blade.

Kudos to Sawstop tech support as they worked with me to get all the replacement electrical components, and of course a new 5hp single phase 240v motor to replace the original 3phase 480v motor. All in with the slider should end up totaling just north of 3 grand-about 50 cents on the dollar compared to new. It’ll make a great big brother to my PCS!
    I’ll add pics to this thread as work progresses!
    Cheers
    Sean

8878C20C-544A-4A02-9EF2-A30B4BCEA3FF.jpg8C676D07-F5E1-4F59-A3D4-BD33DACE44E0.jpgE9133D04-66BA-4634-87A1-045EA6BB3C5B.jpg9EB8487A-72A7-4779-9C04-DBF5BD6FC426.jpg2631AB88-BD1C-4AF2-BD9F-541960DECA48.jpgB67D8F9B-C1ED-41E3-8E42-B7AE34548DC2.jpg

What caused the roof to collapse? Fire? Snow load? It looks surprisingly good for having a roof come down on it.

Nice job on the restoration
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

That's a really nice restoration project, Sean. Nice find!

Make sure you get a good coat of wax or something on those tables now that you've abraded away the rust. It will get into the micro-scratches and help keep things clean and rust free.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice restoration! Good to see serviceable tools spared from the scrap yard.

I like the overhead crane rail shown in the first pic. By coincidence I was thinking of doing something similar in my shop. It would be real handy unloading heavy stuff.

Michael, the business where I got the saw had their shop roof collapse due to a combination of heavy snow and truss failure. It was lucky that no one was in there when the roof decided to go!

What oil stone did you use to remove all that rust?

Congrats on a great recovery Sean! I think I would've passed with the motor being toast, but kudos on having the vision to see the value.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Great job on the saw. I like the hoist system you have, also. Good idea.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice work. I also recently resurrected a 5hp ICS that looked like it got rained on at a technical college. Fortunately most of the damage was just a top that needed cleaning, new fence faces, cabinet cleanup and a new switch and cable for the mechanism.

The funnier part of the story is that I got it at auction for about $800 ~3 years ago and told my wife it be great because I could just restore and flip it as we lived in a house where I didn't have the room for it. Well, I was so busy with other stuff that the process dragged on long enough that the saw moved with me half way across the country where I now do have the space for it. One of the few times being slow to get a project done paid off

Love the lift. I did something similar, as it was the only way I could get the arbor/trunions back in the case.

Finally, can't say enough good things about SawStop tech support/service. They treated me like I was the original owner, even though the thing is 10 years old. Got me all the parts I needed, and honestly was suprised at how reasonably priced the parts were.

Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    What oil stone did you use to remove all that rust?
    Les, just a good old Norton combination bench stone
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Nice work. I also recently resurrected a 5hp ICS that looked like it got rained on at a technical college. Fortunately most of the damage was just a top that needed cleaning, new fence faces, cabinet cleanup and a new switch and cable for the mechanism.

The funnier part of the story is that I got it at auction for about $800 ~3 years ago and told my wife it be great because I could just restore and flip it as we lived in a house where I didn't have the room for it. Well, I was so busy with other stuff that the process dragged on long enough that the saw moved with me half way across the country where I now do have the space for it. One of the few times being slow to get a project done paid off

Love the lift. I did something similar, as it was the only way I could get the arbor/trunions back in the case.

Finally, can't say enough good things about SawStop tech support/service. They treated me like I was the original owner, even though the thing is 10 years old. Got me all the parts I needed, and honestly was suprised at how reasonably priced the parts were.
    Patrick, I echo your experience-Sawstop is the most professional, customer oriented equipment company in business today

thanks Sean.

The reconditioning is completed-this wonderful machine is now making sawdust again. I am not going to call it a rebuild, that’s Zipp Riders gig-I did more of a recondition. Just cleaned up the tables, cleaned and lubed the trunnions and replaced all the electric components including the motor. I used the old fence rails from my 36” PCS fence, but shifted them to the right (I did not replace the broken left wing). This gives me a comfortable 47” fence rip capacity. I may install a slider in the future-but not certain yet as I have a slider on the 52” PCS in the background. Now I’ll use them back to back for a while to figure out the best placement before I rework the outfeed table. For those that have back to back saws, how do you have them placed? Are the blades in line?
    Back to the shop to play
    Cheers
    Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job, Sean. My back to back saws have the blades offset so that the two saws form a square.