Thread: Segment calculating programs

Segment calculating programs

Any one using them when they make segmented bowls I am geometry challenged to say the least so I use programs is this cheating 🙄

It's NOT cheating. Neither is using digital calipers or a digital angle gauge. But, using all three means you're not a real woodturner!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

David not sure what you mean.I do turn bowls and other things it's just a hobby, but I use the resources that are available to achieve a successful project . Just throwing a post for comment.

I've been working on learning Jerry Bennett's Segmented Project Planner. It's pretty intuitive--but i still have trouble picking segment colors. That's my limitation, not the software's.
    earl

Woodturner Pro is very good lets you try before you purchase.Segment Project Planner is another.Both have videos to help you learn.

https://larrymarley.com/Shop_Utilities.html

This is good calculator for dimensions, it will give you segment length, angle and board length requirements and is free. It does not lay out a pattern or design

Tim -- I was joking. You asked if using segment calculating software is "cheating". Well, if it is, then lots of other modern tools would be, too.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

No problem David, Dad used to say computers were a lazy way of doing math, but I never saw him doing segmented bowls with compound mitered staves, and cut over 200 pieces .He liked furniture building.

By the way I have been using the programs mentioned, hopefully looking forward to learning more about feature rings. Thanks!

Some good YouTube videos on feature rings I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Any one using them when they make segmented bowls I am geometry challenged to say the least so I use programs is this cheating 🙄
    I use Larry Marley also. It tells you how much wood you'll need as well.

Of course you use whatever resources are available. Is it cheating to use a Festool Domino instead of cutting mortise and tenon joints? A dovetail jig instead of hand-cutting dovetails? Some would say yes but, and I rarely say this anymore, but they're wrong. Tools are tools, whether they are digital calipers, apps to calculate segments, or power sanders to sand bowls. It's all your work.