Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epilog Mini - Used Machine Check up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Does the Z motor work ok? You only use to raise and lower the bed. My ULS laser had noisy fans also, the more air they move the more noise. You might also see if you can blow or vacuum out the dust behind those fans. Power off of course.
    The Z motor works, but just damn noisy Though i won't be using it all that much, so I could perhaps manage the noise

I hadn't thought about dust.... Dust would make them work harder and that would make them more noisy

You have about 6 fans over the laser tube. The stock fans run full speed all the time and (I think that they) are really loud. I opted to upgrade to their so-called "Super Silent Fan" setup which ramps fan speed up and down according to tube temperature, and supposedly uses quieter fans. I never measured dBs of either fan set but the Super Silent fans are still pretty loud at full speed.

I often like to listen to a podcast or audio book while running the laser, so I typically use bluetooth headphones for that. Any over-the-ear headphones will help block outside noise but I use headphones with ANC, active noise cancelling, and the noise cancelling makes the fans much more tolerable, especially after invoking the headphones' adaptive noise cancelling optimizer. I often use the headphones even if not listening to an audio file just for the noise reduction.
    Last edited by Glen Monaghan; 04-23-2021 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

Laser cooling fans can be pretty loud. My only 'quiet' "metal" laser is my LS100, which has 4 small fans above the tube, which are speed controlled by the laser's temp. They can get damn loud when cutting at full power for extended periods, but my Chinese 80w machine does all my heavy cutting... When doing simple engraving and plate cutouts the fans barely run, very quiet. My 40w LS900 has 2 always-on cabinet fans that are almost silent, but the big laser cooling fan is NOY ZEE! My 30w GCC explorer has 4 identical fans that run constantly, one cools the motherboard, one cools the controller, and two cool the tube. Not too loud but four of them add up
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Laser cooling fans can be pretty loud. My only 'quiet' "metal" laser is my LS100, which has 4 small fans above the tube, which are speed controlled by the laser's temp. They can get damn loud when cutting at full power for extended periods, but my Chinese 80w machine does all my heavy cutting... When doing simple engraving and plate cutouts the fans barely run, very quiet. My 40w LS900 has 2 always-on cabinet fans that are almost silent, but the big laser cooling fan is NOY ZEE! My 30w GCC explorer has 4 identical fans that run constantly, one cools the motherboard, one cools the controller, and two cool the tube. Not too loud but four of them add up
    Good to know.

It might be the age of the machine, but when i was at Epilog last year and saw the Zing / Mini they had there, there was basically no noise, a slight buzzing, but nothing like this Thats why I was thinking, that it might be the fans or something like that
    Chinese Red/Black 80watt
    Epilog Mini 24 - 40w
    (still a work in progress)