Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Mini - Used Machine Check up.

Lightbulb Epilog Mini - Used Machine Check up.

Hey Guys,

So my recent purchase of a used Mini 24 will arrive tomorrow (with alooooot of hassle, due to some political BS between Denmark and England)

I asked Epilog if I could get some kind of check list, and go through it to see if anything is missing/not working and such, but they havent been able to give it. So I thought I might ask all the clever people in here

I know it might need a good cleaning and I will most defently give the lenses a good workover. But is there something I need to pay attention to?

The seller said that the laser wasnt firing, but that can be one of many "errors" or faults Or maybe the tube is just dead. I need to figure that out, and then see if I can find a refill service a bit closer to me, than USA

Any tips and tricks/advice would be greatly appreciated

Check the obvious stuff first, mirrors, lenses and under the center rail encoder strip and sensor. Clean them all. the tube could be shot but you'll have to wait and see. The (should be white) ribbon cable under the center cover were the encoder strip is you can flip that end to end.
    It could be the safety switches on the front door or the cover you can see them fire on the mother board on the right side of the machine open close watch for led to change colors. Now I just had a real weird run of stuff and turned out one of the safety switched (magnet switch) on the cover the wire rubbed bare against the front rod the moves the arm front and back.
    So right now that is about it I can think of.
    Good Luck.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Check the obvious stuff first, mirrors, lenses and under the center rail encoder strip and sensor. Clean them all. the tube could be shot but you'll have to wait and see. The (should be white) ribbon cable under the center cover were the encoder strip is you can flip that end to end.
    It could be the safety switches on the front door or the cover you can see them fire on the mother board on the right side of the machine open close watch for led to change colors. Now I just had a real weird run of stuff and turned out one of the safety switched (magnet switch) on the cover the wire rubbed bare against the front rod the moves the arm front and back.
    So right now that is about it I can think of.
    Good Luck.
    So it finally arrived and after replacing the rubber feet (They were pretty worn down) and getting it vacuumed (the previous owner left quite a mess in it) it does look decently.

So regarding the safety switches, it does not seem that they have a connection to the motherboard.

Heres with the lid closed:

And with the lid open:

No change in the LEDs so not sure where to find the fault.

Also one thing I noticed, was when raising and lowered the bed. A very very annoying sound that seems to come from the gears in this video:

Next up, is a thorough cleaning of the exterior and interior.
    Last edited by Soren Christensen; 04-13-2021 at 3:42 PM.

If you are talking about the pulsating sound, that's just the normal operation of the bed height adjustment. I suppose it could sound annoying to some people, but you'll only hear it when you have to adjust the focus, and then only for a second or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    If you are talking about the pulsating sound, that's just the normal operation of the bed height adjustment. I suppose it could sound annoying to some people, but you'll only hear it when you have to adjust the focus, and then only for a second or so.
    But is it normal, that it is that loud? Or is there anything that can be done to muffle it a bit? Maybe greasing some gears or something
    Chinese Red/Black 80watt
    Epilog Mini 24 - 40w
    (still a work in progress)

No, that loud isn't normal, at least not that WHHHHEEEEEEEE noise. Definitely some metal to metal, or plastic to metal interference, like one of the cogs is rubbing the cabinet or a bushing is dry-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    No, that loud isn't normal, at least not that WHHHHEEEEEEEE noise. Definitely some metal to metal, or plastic to metal interference, like one of the cogs is rubbing the cabinet or a bushing is dry-
    Is there anything that I have to grease up? And if so, what kind of grease/oil is preferred or recommended?

Because I have a hard time figuring out what I could be. And the Danish Epilog Rep aint helping much

The ONLY thing to grease on a laser is the threaded rods that move the table, and #2 lithium grease is what my rep recommends. I buy the "spray" grease in rattle cans, makes it easy to get grease on the top & bottom bushings--

but note, DO NOT grease linear guide rails and bearings, ONLY use light oil. Got this info straight from the manufacturer of the bearings in my bought-used, made-in-Taiwan GCC Explorer after changing out the SECOND X bearing due to extreme sloppiness- the factory owners manual states to use light grease on the rails. The problem is, as the grease packs itself into the bearing housing, it prevents the bearings from moving and will actually force bearing balls OUT of the housing! I found 3 bearings on my table over the course of a year! My replacement bearing is now older than the one it replaced and it's broken in nicely and zero freeplay, all I've used on it is spray 'lubricating oil' from Walmart...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

The slightly pulsating noise heard when the belt moves is typical of the Epilogs I've used, never thought twice about it before... Other Epilog users???

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The ONLY thing to grease on a laser is the threaded rods that move the table, and #2 lithium grease is what my rep recommends. I buy the "spray" grease in rattle cans, makes it easy to get grease on the top & bottom bushings--

but note, DO NOT grease linear guide rails and bearings, ONLY use light oil. Got this info straight from the manufacturer of the bearings in my bought-used, made-in-Taiwan GCC Explorer after changing out the SECOND X bearing due to extreme sloppiness- the factory owners manual states to use light grease on the rails. The problem is, as the grease packs itself into the bearing housing, it prevents the bearings from moving and will actually force bearing balls OUT of the housing! I found 3 bearings on my table over the course of a year! My replacement bearing is now older than the one it replaced and it's broken in nicely and zero freeplay, all I've used on it is spray 'lubricating oil' from Walmart...
    I don't have a wallmart here in Denmark, so could you perhaps show me the cans that you use? Just so I can find similar alternatives perhaps 😁

The carriage, X and Y are all ball bearings so why would you oil or grease the tracks? My threaded rods I used a dry spray lube WD40 Plus. NO its NOT WD40 but a dry spray lube with silicone and a very light oil, that I found for my ignition key lock that worked wonders.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The carriage, X and Y are all ball bearings so why would you oil or grease the tracks?
    So the bearings keep rolling. Light oil floats out grit that can cause the bearings to hang and slide instead of roll, then they flat-spot, and wear down the rail...

Soren, just google 'spray lithium grease', "Blaster" is a brand that's carried in hardware stores--
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Aren't the bearings sealed? Mine are, No lube required. Something like this > https://www.amazon.com/Groove-Bearin...9018052&sr=8-5

PDF from Epilog https://www.epiloglaser.com/download...whitepaper.pdf
    What I used on my threaded rods. Another Link that maybe you already have.... http://support.epiloglaser.com/knowledgec.aspx?cid=8205
    Lube.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-21-2021 at 11:20 AM.

So just a quick update.

I went an bought a similar product to what Bill showed me a picture off. Made sure it had the right stuff and went on with lubing up a few stuff in the machine (not bearings and rails). I have a bad feeling, that the motor for the Z axis er the one causing the WEEEEE sound in the video. So I have asked Tech support to advice on how to proceed. Because it looks like I might need a new motor for that one.

Also is the fans on the tube really that loud? Maybe the tube would benefit from a service/refill too. Because those fans are LOUD.
    Chinese Red/Black 80watt
    Epilog Mini 24 - 40w
    (still a work in progress)

Does the Z motor work ok? You only use to raise and lower the bed. My ULS laser had noisy fans also, the more air they move the more noise. You might also see if you can blow or vacuum out the dust behind those fans. Power off of course.