Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deck sealer. Olympic or Thompsons?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    Alex, did you use the Elastomeric or the Cool Feel Technology?
    I wanted the wood to show through so I used the oil based semi transparent stain in either cedar or white pine (can't remember which). The elastomeric looked like it's only a solid color and the cool feel semi solid only came in darker colors. I was told the oil would last longer than the waterborne. But the oil isn't as easy to work with. The waterborne can be applied over damp wood and it dries faster so there's no fear that it's not going to be dry before night / dew sets it.

I can't recommend it because I've never used it but a company just up the road from me, Vermont natural coatings, has a product I would really like to try. One of these days I'm going to make some cedar Adirondack chairs for the wife. VNC has a waterproofer that looks tempting as long as you don't mind the wood turning gray.

The Flood CWF is water based. Clean up brushes with water and ammonia. It stinks for just a few days on the deck side of the house. It has a light sheen but can be shiny if you apply a heavy coat. You may see lap marks where the shine/color varies if you don't keep the leading edge wet.

Just got back on and read this. The instructions on my can of CWF said to remove any product that remained on the surface after several minutes of soak time. So, no surface film left.

My can says to 'brush out or wipe up any puddles within 20 minutes to avoid shiny areas.'

I don't know of too many finishes where leaving puddles are a good thing.

If your can also suggests not leaving puddles, that does not mean you won't have a surface film. It just makes the deck look uneven with shiny spots because the finish is not evenly applied (thus the puddling). You will also get shiny spots if you don't keep the leading edge wet and meet it later because you've applied more finish (two coats) on the section where the finish overlaps.

Blog Entries
    We switched to this stuff and it runs circles around Thompson’s. The only drawback is it is Really potent. The fumes burn your eyes. We use it on park benches that spend their lives in the sun.

Well, the photo won’t load. It is Pratt and Lambert Stain Shield.