Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-drilling Wood Screws - good source?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Self-drilling Wood Screws - good source?

After drilling lots of pilot holes over the years, both in hardwood and softwood lumber, and those years making that task less fun that it once was, is there a source anyone has for good quality self-drilling general purpose steel wood screws in the common sizes? The only ones I can find up here (Canada) are mostly construction screws that are in lengths I would almost never use.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Joe H.

Do you really want a drill grind on the end of the screw, or something like a SPAX screw that has a modified thread to almost act like a drill? Big box stores around here sell SPAX.

+ 1 for SPAX

Blog Entries
    I've switched to Spax screws. I like the Torx drive and the higher strength. In really hard wood such as hickory I still drill pilot holes and countersinks to avoid potential spitting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley used to have a very good selection of screws, including Spax. They still do carry these.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...rilling-screws

I use them & they are quite good, better than any I've gotten at a big box store.

I agree on the Spax. Definitely easy since they are widely available (in the US). However the selection is somewhat limited in the shorter lengths (especially if prefer something besides Phillips...which I do).

I have recently become partial to McFeely's square drive: https://www.mcfeelys.com/fsl. I like the positive fit of the Robertson/square drive which makes it easier to get things started with only one hand free and no pilot hole.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 04-05-2021 at 8:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I agree on the Spax. Definitely easy since they are widely available (in the US). However the selection is somewhat limited in the shorter lengths (especially if prefer something besides Phillips...which I do).

I have recently become partial to McFeely's square drive: https://www.mcfeelys.com/fsl. I like the positive fit of the Robertson/square drive which makes it easier to get things started with only one hand free and no pilot hole.
    +1 to McFeeley's square drive.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've never seen a "self drilling" screw that actually clears material out of the hole to make room for the mass of the screw. Hence they still crack wood that is subject to such things. I'll continue to pre-drill holes to avoid the frustration of split parts near the end of the project.

The quality of the readily available "construction screws" from the likes of Spax and Deckmate has certainly dramatically improved over the last two decades. The Torx drive is a marvelous innovation.

We use wood screws with a type 17 tip in SPF door jambs that are otherwise prone to splitting. They work very well. The Link Frank Pratt included above has screws that feature this tip style.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Spax or GRK for me. Both are readily available from local sources.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spax or GRK are the only fasteners I've used for years. The contractor who did our composite decking used square-drive screws and I have been totally unimpressed with those as I try to snug them up.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Spax or GRK are the only fasteners I've used for years. The contractor who did our composite decking used square-drive screws and I have been totally unimpressed with those as I try to snug them up.

Erik
    Certainly better than the drywall screws the previous owners used on the decking at my place

Find a decent builder supply and see if they carry CAMO screws. Check out camofasteners. Com. I buy them by the pound, usually 2-5 at a time. just to keep them on hand. I use them in olive green, tan, grey, and gold. All TORX heads. Much better than those high dollar boxes at Lowe’s and HD.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Certainly better than the drywall screws the previous owners used on the decking at my place
    That’s hilarious, Peter. When we put the second story on our house in 2012 and switched to tankless water heater (exterior wall mount), I noticed later that the plumber used drywall screws to mount the unit. LOL, drywall screws, exposed to moisture, holding up a 40lb. water heater. Who thinks that’s a good idea?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep