Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self-drilling Wood Screws - good source?

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've never seen a "self drilling" screw that actually clears material out of the hole to make room for the mass of the screw. Hence they still crack wood that is subject to such things. I'll continue to pre-drill holes to avoid the frustration of split parts near the end of the project.

The quality of the readily available "construction screws" from the likes of Spax and Deckmate has certainly dramatically improved over the last two decades. The Torx drive is a marvelous innovation.
    This was my exact thought as well. Maybe good for construction lumber. No sure for high grade projects. .
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

my go-to screw for around the house work (not woodworking) is the Simpsons self-drilling 11/4" screws. But they have a pan head therefore not for some situations.

Blog Entries
    McFeely or similar square drive fan here for the limited number of mechanical fasteners I use in furntiure. That being said Roger is correct about when to use "self-drill" screws IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I still pre drill for hardwood. Not for soft wood. What they really excelled at is when doing plywood boxes as they don't split the plywood when going into an edge. That's a big time saver.

Between square drive and Torx, I prefer Torx. I've had problems with square drive rounding out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I did my cherry T&G floor with Spax screws, still predrilled. Most jobs that i use screws, I use Roberson square drive, with the chisel point, and that is mostly just rough work like crates and jigs etc. Spax don't seem to be readily available around here, i had to order mine.

My earlier answer for Spax and GRK was purely for construction type stuff. I use McFeely's square drive in the shop for projects 99% of the time. In the shop, I do not expect "self drilling" and pre-drill/countersink.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a wide-ranging assortment of various manufacturers of screws in my shop, as I seem to do a fairly balanced amount of rough work and cabinet work, but I always seem to reach for the GRK screws in 90% of circumstances. I do have some SPAX screws and the remnants of a very large purchase of McFeeley's screws made 15+ years ago. I like the McFeeley's for fine work, as they tend to be slimmer and less aggressive. I still have hundreds of their Super-8 pocket hole screws, which are perfect for plywood joints and much of my shop/rough cabinet work. After experiencing way too many split pieces, I drill pilot holes for everything these days.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Spax or GRK are the only fasteners I've used for years. The contractor who did our composite decking used square-drive screws and I have been totally unimpressed with those as I try to snug them up.

Erik
    Certainly better than the drywall screws the previous owners used on the decking at my place

Find a decent builder supply and see if they carry CAMO screws. Check out camofasteners. Com. I buy them by the pound, usually 2-5 at a time. just to keep them on hand. I use them in olive green, tan, grey, and gold. All TORX heads. Much better than those high dollar boxes at Lowe’s and HD.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1 to McFeeley's square drive.
    +2 they're what I use.

I've never broken one, or had one strip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Certainly better than the drywall screws the previous owners used on the decking at my place
    That’s hilarious, Peter. When we put the second story on our house in 2012 and switched to tankless water heater (exterior wall mount), I noticed later that the plumber used drywall screws to mount the unit. LOL, drywall screws, exposed to moisture, holding up a 40lb. water heater. Who thinks that’s a good idea?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I like the Highpoint screws I have been getting at Woodcraft.

Custom service hardware for bulk. Spax for small numbers and local.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"