Thread: Club surveys or questionnaires??

Club surveys or questionnaires??

Anyone involved with a club have any club surveysquestionnaires they want to share? I am looking to help put together a survey for our club members to see what their skill levels are, areas of interest turning related or non-turning related - especially if their non-turning sklills/interests can be used to help the club in some way like web design, news letter, etc. Or maybe to see if they are interested in getting involved in other things like mentoring a new turner, or one on one helping another club member develop a new specific skill to expand that club member's skillset outside a regular club demo topic, etc.

But, I don't want to leave the questions too open for them to write whole paragraphs for each answer. I guess I'd like to be able to have questions that have multiple choice answers so some sort of data can be tabulated without having 30 or 40 different answers for each question that then need to some how be consolidated into meaningful data.

My idea is to use an online survey service like survey monkey so they can answer anonymously.

If you have a written survey questionnaire that you want to share it can be sent to me at rv.havens@gmail.com

Thanks
    Ricc

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Several years ago we used this survey to gather information about our membership and learned a whole lot. It's a useful survey because it provides multiple ways to study the data. Our members filled it out at a meeting and turned them in anonymously.

THREE QUICK QUESTIONS:
    THIS SURVEY WILL HELP US MAKE OUR CONTENT MORE RELEVANT MEMBERSHIP. PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO TELL US ABOUT YOUR INTERESTS.

1. What subjects would you like featured at our monthly meetings?

• BASIC WOODTURNING
    • HOLLOW FORMS
    • LIDDED BOXES
    • WOOD SELECTION
    • FINISHING TECHNIQUES
    • PENS
    • BOTTLE STOPPERS
    • SEGMENTED TURNING
    • AIRBRUSHING/COLOR
    • DECORATIVE EMBELLISHMENTS
    • PHOTOGRAPHY
    • ARTISTIC TURNING
    • LATHES/MACHINERY
    • WOODTURNING TOOLS
    • FOOD SAFE UTILITY BOWLS
    • FURNITURE
    • DECORATIVE EMBELLISHMENTS
    • SPINDLE WORK
    • SHOP SAFETY
    • FINIALS
    • STEMWARE & GOBLETS
    • OTHER:

1. What is your preferred method of keeping informed about club activities?

• NEWSLETTER
    • US POSTAL SERVICE
    • FACEBOOK/TWITTER
    • CLUB WEBSITE
    • WOODWORKER WEST MAGAZINE
    • WORD OF MOUTH
    • EMAIL MESSAGES
    • OTHER

1. Which club services to you use regularly?

• SANDPAPER & GLUE
    • LENDING LIBRARY
    • MENTORING PROGRAM
    • VENDOR SALES
    • SPECIALIZED TRAINING CLASSES
    • CLUB DISCOUNT AT RETAIL STORES
    • WOOD AUCTION
    • CLUB PARTIES
    • TOOL EXCHANGE
    • WEBSITE LINKS
    • IDEAS FROM SHOW & TELL
    • SPECIAL EVENTS
    • OTHER:

Comment or suggestion:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

#####
    Some of the results were noteworthy:
    >> The most requested topic for demonstrations was, by far, finishing products and techniques.
    >> No one wanted to learn about shop safety.
    >> Penmaking wasn't nearly as popular as we thought.
    >> Our merchandising program (glue and sandpaper sales) was often a dealmaker when it came to attendance.
    >> Pre-meeting socializing played a key part in motivating the group.
    >> Surprisingly, some people weren't really active in the craft and mostly participated because they found it entertaining.
    >> Not surprisingly, a large percentage of people relied on word-of-mouth to know what was going on.

I have this in a pdf format if anyone wants easy access to a version of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 04-09-2021 at 5:24 AM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russ, thankS I really appreciate the input!! I downloaded the survey your provided.

Anyone else have some input?

Ricc