Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about a Wixey?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    agreed. I adjusted the stop on my Sawstop to a perfect 90 degrees and then some sawdust got in there. I wound up abandoning the stop and I use a Wixey.
    +1. And not terribly easy to adjust the stops. I use a Wixey for that too.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I should hope so...my new Wixley just showed up!

I prefer a bourbon wixey, but have recently discovered some interesting japanese wixeys.

4. Any experience with the Wixey Digital Readout? Wondering if it's worth it for my DW735.

Going "Digital" will take your woodworking to a new level of precision. The Wixey angle cube is great for setting your table saw angle stops, but it's even better when you need 31 1/2 degrees of blade angle. It does that too, and any other angle between your two table saw blade angle stops. I also have a Wixey DRO on my Unisaw fence. I can adjust it for a 1" wide cut and make the cut. Then move the fence away and make another cut. Then move the fence back to 1" and make a second 1" cut, and when I measure the two 1" wide boards with a Wixey digital caliper, they will be within 0.003" of each other. Can you do that with only your fence scale to work with? I have a Wixey on my DeWalt 735 and it gives me boards with great thickness accuracy too. How about a digital blade height gauge? I have a Wixey DRO for that too. I do not yet have the Wixey drill press depth gauges, but I do have Wixey cross hair lasers on all three of my drill presses.

Charley

6. Great to know how accurate the DRO is Charles, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Going "Digital" will take your woodworking to a new level of precision. The Wixey angle cube is great for setting your table saw angle stops, but it's even better when you need 31 1/2 degrees of blade angle. It does that too, and any other angle between your two table saw blade angle stops. I also have a Wixey DRO on my Unisaw fence. I can adjust it for a 1" wide cut and make the cut. Then move the fence away and make another cut. Then move the fence back to 1" and make a second 1" cut, and when I measure the two 1" wide boards with a Wixey digital caliper, they will be within 0.003" of each other. Can you do that with only your fence scale to work with? I have a Wixey on my DeWalt 735 and it gives me boards with great thickness accuracy too. How about a digital blade height gauge? I have a Wixey DRO for that too. I do not yet have the Wixey drill press depth gauges, but I do have Wixey cross hair lasers on all three of my drill presses.

Charley

Perhaps my Wixey is the exception, but it is not consistently accurate enough to set a perfect 45 degree tilt for cutting 2 inch thick stock. My best results have been with the use of a combo square for setting 90 and 45 degrees.

Steve,

When you place your cube, do you first place it on your saw table and zero it? Then, when you place it on your saw blade, do you use a try square to be certain that the cube is truly vertical and centered over the arbor of the saw and center of the saw blade? Slight errors can occur if it isn't positioned perfectly.

Charley

I have the TS3650 and the stops are adjustable. You have to use an allen wrench and the are located on the table itself in front of the blade.

Thanks Ken. I was going to drag out the manual tomorrow and get it dialed in.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

My Wixey reads 90.1 degrees on each side of the saw blade. Maybe I need to replace it.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    My Wixey reads 90.1 degrees on each side of the saw blade. Maybe I need to replace it.
    David, I suspect that this is user error - where you place the Wixey needs to be a representative and repeatable position for measuring. Some surfaces are not uniformly flat or coplanar. This will affect your readings as the area under the Wixey box is small.

I’ve been using Wixey’s for many years and had good experiences. The current boxes use AAA batteries, I seem to recall, rather than the round disks, and last a long time (I cannot recall when I last replaced a battery).

In addition to a box, which is used on the table saw blade, I use one when setting up a bandsaw blade/table, and I have installed them on the tablesaw fence ...

.. the bandsaw fence ....

Details here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered...erBandsaw.html

... and recently on the router table (this one flips out of the way)...

A bit of a fan ..?

Regards from Perth

Derek