Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Tool Families

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I started with DeWalt a long time ago and stayed with them because of the battery lock-in.

Mike
    same here. My cordless tools are all dewalt. My outdoor stuff (string trimmer, leaf blower, pole chain saw) is all Ryobi One 18v.

The only cordless tools I have in the shop are my Festool drill/drivers and one older DeWalt 14.4 D/D. Oh, and a Bauer 20v impact drill/driver from HFT...the same batteries power a blower and a mini-chain saw and will also get action for a small string trimmer. If I were going to go whole-hog on cordless I'd most likely end up with DeWalt or Milwaukee.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sadly, different systems, with different batteries.

A whole bunch of Festool. Some Milwaukee (their small tire inflator with the screw on hose is awesome. Everyone I show it to buys one.), A few Dewalt, and a Hilti beast rotary hammer drill. Makes for a bunch of chargers, which waste huge space.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Like so many others, I started down the yellow brick road and stuck with it due to the battery platform. Even started picking up some of the outdoor items as my Echo stuff is now ancient. It's just too easy to grab one of the numerous batteries and go to town with the string trimmer!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Quote Originally Posted by David Lageman View Post
    Like so many others, I started down the yellow brick road and stuck with it due to the battery platform.
    I started with DeWalt cordless back in the early 90’s and my experience with their batteries was such that my loyalty to them is exactly zero. Their 20v system is pretty decent, but if there’s an alternative ecosystem, that’s just great. IMO the modern Milwaukee batteries are a better deal, especially when offered as promotions, as often happens.

i have the ridgid stuff and have been happy with it. If you are looking at new tools, i would be considering waiting on the new flex line at lowes, they are made by the company that makes e-go yard stuff, flex automotive tools, which are highly regarded and a few other brands of industrial and consumer tools. they are positioning themselves to be a Milwaukee competitor to bring the trades into lowes, as home depot has most of that market right now. hopefully they can create some competition with Milwaukee.

I went with the Milwaukee after hearing Malcolm Schweitzer's experiences with them after two hurricanes. I love mine.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I had a few Bosch 18v tools i liked very much. Last summer we needed a new string trimmer and i had accumulated some "rewards points" from one of our vendors that were going to expire--most of the stuff on the site was for blenders & costume jewelry. But, i found that i had enough points for a Milwaukee string trimmer kit, drill, driver, recip saw, and a circular saw--all at $0.00 out of pocket. Added their 18v chain saw (had to buy that in cash!!) a month ago. Heavier than my Bosch stuff, but since i gave all that to one of my sons...i'm growing used to the difference. Chain saw is for sure a lighter 16" saw, but very functional as well. Picked up a heated 12v hoodie (usher football at a noted university) last fall--and found that Milwaukee makes a 18v to 12v adapter that steps down so a 3 ah 18v lasts several hours on medium & low heat. In total, i'm happy--especially for what i have in it.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I went with the Milwaukee after hearing Malcolm Schweitzer's experiences with them after two hurricanes. I love mine.
    Timely thread for me as my Dewalt impact drill and batteries are at end of life. I like the Milwaukee brushless tools but the permutations of tools / brushless vs FEUL / battery pack configurations is confusing to me. Trying to piece together all the knowledge to make a best choice for my needs is tiring.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I go with Milwaukee 18V for drills, drivers, angle drills, grinders, sawzall and hackzalls, circular saw, jig saw, impact driver, and several other tools. I also like the Ryobi "one" 18v system and use their drills, hammer drills, angle grinder, small hand held vac, rotary tool, along with some of the yard tools (hedge trimmer, chain saw on pole, leaf blower).
    David

When I read the thread title, my thought was the hammer family was my favorite tool family

For brand families, I tend to look first at Makita for hand held and Jet for stationary and then check out other brands. Though Makita and Jet tend to be my preference, I do I have representatives of nearly every major brand in my shop. It helps too that Acme usually has a good selection of Makita and Jet in stock and they are a 15 minute drive away.

My cordless tools are all Makita 18V, and I haven't found any reason to leave that ecosystem, in fact I will likely be adding to it in the near future.

It is strange, I have never been a fan of DeWalt tools, although I am not sure why; I like all the DeWalts that I own. I think it has to do with a dislike of Black and Decker dating back to the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    We have Ryobi 18 volt ONE+
    Started with the vacuum cleaner and added a drill/driver and a light.
    These work great but the drill/driver is huge and the vacuum is loud.
    I bought a m18 drill and driver couple of years back. I like the red color scheme. Bought an impact wrench and Sazwall in m12 version later. Now I have these batteries, so look at Milwaukee by default.

I have a Ryobi 18 sprayer and vaccum, but not invested in Ryobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Timely thread for me as my Dewalt impact drill and batteries are at end of life. I like the Milwaukee brushless tools but the permutations of tools / brushless vs FEUL / battery pack configurations is confusing to me. Trying to piece together all the knowledge to make a best choice for my needs is tiring.
    FUEL is Milwaukee’s trade name for brushless. I have both the M18 and M12 batteries in various configurations (around 20 in total.) The M18’s have more brute force power, but the M12’s have a better power to weight ratio for their tools in my experience. If you’re holding the tool a lot, that makes a difference.

I started in the Makita camp back when 7.2v was the common battery size. I stayed with them up until I got a drill with NiMH batteries. It was a 3 speed drill and after a couple years of light use the fastest speed died. I really never used it so I didn't do anything. Then the middle speed died. About that time Milwaukee came out with a 18v cordless grease gun. I had wanted one but wasn't willing to get one that didn't share batteries with other tools. DeWalt came out with one not too much after but I had already bought the Milwaukee. Since then I have added to my collection of Fuel stuff. The only issue I've had is the trigger on the drill died and was replaced under warranty. I don't think I would call Milwaukee the best out there but they seem to be very well built and rugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I really like the 12v FUEL. If I was using all day or had demanding needs, I'd have gotten the 18v. But the ones I have stay charged a long time between uses and meet all my homeowner and hobby shop needs.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-07-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”