Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straight line rip on TS before jointing face and one edge

When you look down at a set of stairs it is better if the grain in each tread runs straight across the nose. Crazy grain could even effect your balance. But at least it can look amateurish. Also the nose will be more durable if the grain is straight. This would be the reason for his method.

Cutting a straight line on a longish board is one of the many things a track saw does better than a table saw IMHO.

whats a long board? when I did facias on some homes boards were 15-16 feet long. Jointer worked excellent like it does for most stuff.

No point in saying how I machine wood it depends on the work, steps are different for different work.

Not sure about others here, but I get glue-ready rips on my table saw. I also use the jointer for this if the board is thick.
    Make sure the table saw is tuned up properly and square to the blade. I use a glue line rip blade, 1/8" thickness and can glue up right after.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Not sure about others here, but I get glue-ready rips on my table saw. I also use the jointer for this if the board is thick.
    Make sure the table saw is tuned up properly and square to the blade. I use a glue line rip blade, 1/8" thickness and can glue up right after.
    -
    What do you do if the board gets a bow or twist after ripping on the tablesaw. Just clamp it back in shape?
    just curious
    Aj