Thread: Older Wooden Tool Restoration

Older Wooden Tool Restoration

Can someone direct me to reliable web resources for restoring older wooden tools. Some have sentimental value.

Mostly the wooden parts I am concerned about getting bad info and spoiling them. Metal parts seem pretty straight forward

I have planes. clamps and other misc hand tools

Thanks

John,

I can't help much with the net, only a little, but Michael Dunbar has a book out "Restoring, Tuning, and Using Classic Woodworking Tools."

It has been quite a spell since I read it, but it has stuff on that very topic. There are a few listed on that auction site that you can probably get for around $20.

I just did a web search for "restoring wooden woodworking tools," and some sites did come up. I also looked on Youtube with a search for "restoring wooden planes," and several things came up, including some by Paul Sellers. I think if you try Youtube with "Restoration" and list the specific tools you will find stuff.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-04-2021 at 7:10 PM.

Thanks for the reply

Blog Entries
    Here on Sawmill Creek > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805 < Bob Smalser posted at least one 'how to' on restoring wooden planes. There is also a post on making a new plane tote.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Working Wooden Planes on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Here on Sawmill Creek > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805 < Bob Smalser posted at least one 'how to' on restoring wooden planes. There is also a post on making a new plane tote.

jtk
    Than you. I was unaware of that list of resources here, valuable

I find a gentle scrub with Johnsons paste wax and a fine abrasive pad lifts most grime from simple handling. It uses Toluene as a solvent, so consider using it outdoors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I find a gentle scrub with Johnsons paste wax and a fine abrasive pad lifts most grime from simple handling. It uses Toluene as a solvent, so consider using it outdoors.
    According to S C Johnson, Johnson Paste Wax does not contain Tolulene. Tolulene is a dangerous chemical.
    Johnson wax.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I stand corrected.

My stash of paste wax is Briwax (toluene solvent) and Butchers (turpentine and naptha).

The solvents dissolve suspended grease and grime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I stand corrected.

My stash of paste wax is Briwax (toluene solvent) and Butchers (turpentine and naptha).

The solvents dissolve suspended grease and grime.

According to BRIWAX, only the "Original Briwax" contains tolulene.

I would advise extra caution when using any product with tolulene in it, it absorbs readily through the skin and inhalation can cause significant issues.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-07-2021 at 10:19 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    One might also consider the age of the products on their shelf. My can of Johnsons paste wax may be from the 1980s. If my memory holds until my next time in the shop the label will be checked to see what it say.

It may be from before there were labeling requirements.

Mine is the old tan opaque substance and not the newer somewhat clear product.

Mostly my favorite product for cleaning and treating wood is > https://www.howardproducts.com/produ...d-conditioner/

It is likely why my can of Johnson's is still almost full.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-08-2021 at 1:40 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    According to BRIWAX, only the "Original Briwax" contains tolulene.
    My stash of three "colors" dates back to 2012.
    It lasts a long time, at my pace.

I use this, and any other solvent with my trusty, crusty heavy vinyl gloves.

As suggested before, it's best to use solvents outdoors.

That said, these solvent based waxed products rapidly clean the wooden body planes I favor.