Thread: Air straightener between separator outlet and blower inlet?

Air straightener between separator outlet and blower inlet?

A search of SMC turned up only one mention of adding an air straightener to the outlet of the separator to stop air rotation before it enters the blower inlet. The theory is that the blower will move the greatest volume of air if the air entering the inlet has no pre-rotation. The lack of mentions here is therefore surprising to me since there is so much interest in getting the most out of DC systems.

1. If it has been discussed in other threads, I would appreciate any links you can post.
    2. Are you using a straightener between your separator and blower inlet and if so, is it only because your cyclone and blower rotate counter to one another?
    3. Do the current generation of comercial DC's with cyclones include air straighteners?
    4. Do the various Dust Deputies include a straightener?

The topic has been discussed at Phil Thien's website in years past, but I wonder what the current thinking is on this.

I have a straight pipe on the inlet to the dust deputy to help create laminar flow (i.e. all of the dust and air molecules moving in a straight line vs a swirling mess), to make the DD more effective at separating the dust. As for the pipe betweent he blowr and DD, I have shortened that pipe to ~6" and it is a flex pipe, so I am not too worried about it.

Re:

3. Nothing in my older steel V-3000.
    4. Nothing in the plastic shop-vac version they sent me free with the order for the V-3000.

Greater Manor Metroplex? My first trip down there was thru 'Downtown' on 20 ;-)
    Last edited by Wes Grass; 04-04-2021 at 1:22 PM.

This has been discussed on clurevue's forum. From my understanding it increases the laminar flow to allow for better separation in the cyclone.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/for...e-run-at-inlet

Thanks for the link, but I'm interested in the inlet to the blower, not the separator, assuming the air flows through the separator before the blower.

By air straightener, I am referring to a short section of duct that has internal dividers that change incoming swirling air to a more laminar airflow.