Thread: Honey Bee Combs

Honey Bee Combs

Kind of weird, but I have been asked if I can cut an old honey bee comb (I think that's what it's called). It's been extracted, but still has some left over 'stuff' in it.

Anybody ever try anything like this? It will cut easily enough I suppose, but will it cut cleanly, or just make a big mess? Feels pretty soft and 'waxy' so not sure what I may be getting into...

If some of the capped cells still have honey, it may not be good!

Thanks.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I am a beekeeper and woodworker. IMHO you will create a huge sticky mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I am a beekeeper and woodworker. IMHO you will create a huge sticky mess.
    Same answer, although I'm only the "assistant Beek" here...

Beeswax has a very low melting point. You can cut it easily with a warm knife. . Please also be aware that many beekeepers today use a plastic "foundation" that the bees create their comb for storage and brood-raising purposes on top of. Some beeks do use 100% natural comb, but you would need to be sure before you cut into anything.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure if these were the answers I was expecting, or hoping for!

Appreciate your thoughts - don't really want to do it! Thanks for the way out...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I cut comb with am electrically heated hot knife made for removing "cappings". Works well and cuts a clean flat but the cells are filled with honey which supports the sides during the cut. Cutting empty comb with a rotary cutter? I wouldn't expect success. Maybe you could get a sample and experiment. I'm assuming the customer wants to cut something other than a flat surface.

Maybe you could think of a substance you could fill the cells with for support while cutting, then perhaps a filler that could be dissolved without damaging the comb.

I wonder if freezing the comb would help but I doubt it. Maybe filling with water and freezing then melting the water afterwards. Or fill with honey and freeze it and let the bees clean it out afterwards (does honey freeze solid?}

3D print it with a filament that kind of looks like wax? Cast it in broze or sliver using the lost wax technique. (I did a lot of that years ago, but never with honeycomb.

Or train some bees to build the shape. My bees made this sculpture for me:

burr-comb.jpg

JKJ